The Ventures Walk Don't Run by Craig

BobR

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:28 am

Hi Craig,

You've already got plenty of good advice so I will just say I enjoyed it and you're well on your way with it.

Nice job

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:40 am

Great going Craig! I like the surf sound too and this one is shaping up really well! I'll leave the technical comments to those more qualified than I.
Great to see a new post from you!
Chris

cosmicmechanic

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Craig, I dusted off my crystal ball and I see that you are going to have SUCH A BLAST playing this tune as the rhythm gets to be a bit more automatic and you polish off the finer points. Great start, thanks for sharing !

Pierre

Craig

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the comment...never really tried electric, that's a thought though. Maybe someday!
Thanks,
Craig

Bob,
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I always appreciate your support.
Thanks,
Craig

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to watch. Hopefully Neil will do a few more "surf guitar" lessons!
Thanks,
Craig

Pierre,
I hope your crystal ball is accurate! At any rate, I appreciate the optimisim! Thanks for your positive vibe.
Craig

RicksPick

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi Craig,

So great to see you trying to tackle such a song! And when applying all Marc's and others great advice you'll get it down soon, since you're very well on your way!

I enjoyed seeing you play again Craig, keep at it and thanks for posting your work on this!

Cheers

Ness

sws626

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Craig,

Great to see you having fun with this tune. I've always loved this music. I'm sure you'll end up playing this a lot, so the few lumps will smooth themselves out and you'll soon be able to play it in your sleep. I also enjoyed your improvisation and hope you keep that up.

I've been learning quite a few alternate/cross-picking passages lately and just wanted to underscore what Rick and Marc have written. I may not break it down as far as a single measure, but definitely learn very small phrases first with great attention to the up/down strokes and timing, then knit them together and finally work on the speed. What Marc wrote about moving your whole wrist with the beat has been a big help to me -- as has not anchoring my right pinky on the pick guard. That's very helpful in hitting the right string, but, for me at least, makes it hard initially to mark time and later to build up speed. It may seem awkward at first, but it's well worth a try.

Anyway, I really enjoyed listening.

-Stuart

AcousticAl

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi Craig,

Good call on challenging yourself with this one. Gotta push your boundaries or you'll stagnate.

Looking forward to Neil's review (maybe)?
Either way- great advice from others here.

d_dog

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Totally killer dude! Bodacious! Glad I could "Drop In" to check this out. This is a killer tune and you ripped it bra. Great job on making your own too, love to see people tweek the songs and "stick it to the man".
Groovin' on the goat-ee too man! Hang loose bro!

beaker

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Nice job Craig! Lot's of fast flatpicking in there. It does not look or sound easy. Keep on strummin'! Beaker.

MarkM

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Craig,

That is a monster of a song to tackle and you are doing a great job of it. You have plenty of really good advice here and I'm sure Neil will chime in as well. Very impressive start. I thought the guitar sounded very good as I listened to it with headphones. Very clear notes and some great tone. Keep up with this one and let us see your progress.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic