The Ventures Walk Don't Run by Craig

Craig

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:45 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Craig

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 pm

I've always loved the "surf guitar" sound, so when Neil posted this lesson I was really excited. It has some bumps and bruises along the way as you will see. I thought I had a good idea, but now I'm having second thoughts. In the lesson, Neil plays some "harmony" notes in what is the 3rd "A" section. I thought those sounded really cool. So I got to thinking, (which is where I usually get in trouble! :laugh: ) why not make up some of my own harmony notes for the second "A" section...not having the theory knowledge that I should, it was totally trial and error (hopefully not too much error! :laugh: ). At any rate, I played a G with the E and F...I wanted to do a hammer on so I hammered on to the E from D#, then I wanted to do a hammer-on / pull-off, which I attempted on the E (which I discovered is hard to do...). Hopefully if Neil reviews this, he can address some of my attempt to wander off the beaten path as a good, or not so good idea. Thanks for taking the time to watch.
Craig

suziko

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Craig, that was very cool and looked like a serious challenge. Lots of clean flatpicking there. I also thought your strumming sounded nice. I like hearing that you tried to create your own harmony notes for the one section. I don't know this song, so I don't know how it "should" sound, but everything sounds perfectly fine to me, so I think you must have done a good job at it!

Also, is that a new goatee?

Suzi

Hydroman52

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey Craig,

It sounded like you may have been a liittle "tensed up" in the beginning, but as you went along, it seemed like you relaxed a bit. Camera jitters? This seems to be one of those songs that sounds simple but it's not. I remember Neil saying once that it is sometimes good to concentrate on hitting the notes at the correct time and don't worry if they are the right ones or not. Once the timing is down, then work on note accuracy. But it looks like you were getting it down pretty good by the end of the song. Nice job on this one.

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Oh man! I almost forgot to tell you . . . . . good job on the harmonies, too.

jimcjimc

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Craig,
Thanks for posting! I haven't looked at Neil's lesson on this or tried to play it, but it looks quite challenging. I think you have the signature riff down pretty well - at least it sounded familiar from the days I used to hear this back on the AM radio decades ago!

Jim

lueders

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:44 pm

That is definitely coming along Craig! You've bout got another one in the bag...this one of those tunes that just looks like it needs a some zone- out marathon sessions while watching tv...you know what I mean? playing those little parts ump-teen ga-zillion times so muscle memory does most of the work. You're almost there now. It just needs a little more mileage, I think. Great job so far, Sir,

Cori

Craig

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Suzi,
Great to hear from you! Thanks for watching. It's a fun song to play. I'm trying to challenge myself and branch out a little bit with some small stuff, like the harmony notes...it seemed like a good idea at the time!
The goatee is new, it came in a little (or a lot) more gray than I anticipated! :laugh: I was going to shave it off but my 16 year old son said it "looked cool". How many times are you cool in the eyes of a 16 year old? I guess I have to keep it now. Thanks again.
Craig

Hydroman,
I practiced it twice before I turned on the camera and nailed it (at least for me) both times...then I pushed "record"! :ohmy: I appreciate your feedback and encouragement. Thanks,
Craig

Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to watch. The song is definately challenging in the timing department. A lot of upstrokes on the "ands", which isn't such a big deal when strumming, but seems awkward when picking for some reason. I appreciate your comment.
Craig

Craig

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Hey Cori,
You snuck in there on me when I was responding to the others. I know exactly what you mean on the TV watching repetition...I have the song memorized, so now it needs a lot of mileage while watching some of the NBA playoff games! Thanks,
Craig

BigBear

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 am

Craig- you took on quite a challenge trying to play any Bob Bogle song. Bob was an amazing lead guitarist whose style influences thousands, if not millions, of guitarist.

You are well on your way to mastering this classic. One thing you might try is to not think of this song as a series of individual notes but rather a series of phrases tied together. The problem with individual notes is there are so many of them and playing them one at a time really slows you down.

For me anyway, working on these "Surf" tunes requires me to learn the licks in groups. Either by measure or musical phrase. I was learning Apache by the Shadows and this method seems to work.

Anyway, great job, you're on your way and thanks for posting! Your posts are some of the most honest on TG because you actually post what you are playing, warts and all!

Cheers my friend!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic