Neil Hogan Quicksand by tvarga

lueders

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:00 pm

You are a Brave soul, Tom. You're one of my heroes, man. Working through all this stuff and putting it all together like that!!!( Also I gotta say, the more I hear this tune I am struck by what a killer composition this is...
I know I sound like a suck-up...but is that Hogan-guy good or what?) I am totally out my depth on this so I will just pass on my praise and awe for your abilities attitude and sheer perseverance on something like this.

I have this tune on my list, but man I have a LONG way to go first. Great job Tom!!!

Cori

Music Junkie

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Tom:

As mentioned by someone else, this song is much too complicated for me right now to offer any help, but I had to let you know that you are making some wonderful progress on this. I have to say that it is something I would like to tackle someday. Funny thing about TG, there are songs that are still too hard for me, but that are not completely out of the question in the future like I thought they would be. I have been revisiting a few that I would NEVER had thought about before this site came about. Thanks for showing us what some hard work and determination can do. You ought to right proud of your effort and your progress.

Cheers!

Jason

BobR

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Tom,

Wow that is one tough piece, and you seem like you're just about there. I can see why you say your hand gets tired. I can only say great job so far and the way you're going it won't be long till you're happy with it.

Thanks for sharing
Bob

BigBear

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Tom- WOW! That takes guts to play one of Yoda's, I mean Neil's tunes, and you did fantastic. Bravo!

You have the basics down so now it's just getting really comfortable with it. This is a very tough song! I started to mess arouind with it when it came out and it is pretty daunting. Then Neil unleased a whole batch of new songs and I never went back to it. I don't know if I will but you have certainly inspired me!

Just a great performance Tom! Congrats on all your hard work!

Cheers!

suziko

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Wow. That is a HARD song! And LONG!! No wonder your hands are sore after a few runs through it! I think you're making great progress on it; clearly you've got all the parts memorized and down cold. It's just a matter of polishing up what you've got, which is the long and boring part of just playing it over and over again (don't I know it). All the same, you have got to be proud of where you are right now. Your hands are moving lightning fast all over the fret board. It's really coming together. Will we get an update in the near future, I hope?

Suzi

cosmicmechanic

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 pm

tvarga wrote:
... Two years ago I was convinced that I simply can't remember anything. ... What works is sheer repetition.
Tom, your mental or "muscle" memory is great here, but it's also worth noting the concentration it takes just to play this tune end to end, hoping that the tip of your nose doesn't start to itch.

Very impressive, congratulations !
Pierre

tombo1230

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:34 am

Tom, you have my utmost admiration for tackling such highlevel songs and yeah, it's pretty long as well, I think you did very well, just keep at it and it'll get better and better!

Thanks for sharing all your work on it, that's just great to watch, congrats Tom!

Cheers

Ness

tvarga

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:31 am

Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement. Believe me, along with Neil's excellent lessons, receiving great feedback on my video uploads provides me with all the motivation I need to keep trying to improve.
In return, I truly hope that I can encourage you all to believe in yourselves that you too can stretch yourselves and learn to play songs that you believe are too difficult to play. Before joining TG, I never would've thought that I could even attempt to play a song like Quicksand!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic