Neil Hogan Quicksand by tvarga

tvarga

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

(This time there's sound, but on youtube, the sound is hopelessly out of sync. I guess I can't use quicktime on the mac for recording :()

I just can't win... I 'shared' the video directly to youtube. This time the sound seems to be perfectly in sync, but the first 7 seconds of the video are messed up. Oh well...

I took a break from playing Quicksand for a few weeks and decided that this week, I'd try to get a complete take on video of my playing the whole thing. It is surely a very difficult song, but what makes it even tougher is that it's so long that by the time I get to the end, my left hand is exhausted. :) I can get maybe three takes before I have to take a rest. But then, I need to warm up again and that leaves me with at best one or two nervous attempts on camera. Although I'm not that happy with what I captured on video, this is the best attempt I have where I didn't mess up too badly on the newer parts that I've been working on.

-Tom

sbutler

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Tom, it looked to me like your mistakes fed on themselves. I think your well on your way to getting this very difficult song.

I think you may just want to slow down, take you time, and I'm sure you'll not be long before your happy with it.

I think its really good considering the level of difficulty. Keep at it, and you'll do well.

Scott

Craig

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:08 am

Tom,
This piece is so far out of my league that I wouldn't even pretend to offer any advice. I only wanted to say great job on challenging yourself. You definately have a solid start on it. It will be well worth the time and effort when you get it down. Keep up the great work.
Craig

dtaylor

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:54 am

Must say bravo Tom, this tune just seems frighteningly hard to master, but you have the mechanics down. Now you've done the hard work you have the pleasure of refining it, which you'll do every time you play it. I'm sure you have your own techniques for breaking it down and practicing small chunks, so I won't offer any advice, just my admiration on a job well done.

Dean

schm040

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 am

Hey Tom,

I too like to learn these tough instrumentals and have messed around with Quicksand myself. It is fun and has a lot going on. It was a bit tough to follow because the audio and video were not in sync but what I could hear sounded on track. There are some tough fingerings up there on the neck that need work (you know which ones) but I liked the overall feel you have for it.

Thanks for posting.

MattMa

tombo1230

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 am

Well done Tom, man that looks like a pretty tough tune to learn, but you are well down the road with it. When you have mastered it you will have gone up a notch in your ability, which will make persevering worthwhile and other similar songs will come easier. My only advice and you probably know this anyway..... is, if you have a tricky bit you are struggling with slow it down until it is second nature to you, then you will play it well at speed. Otherwise what you have done so far is pretty impressive! B)

Tom N.

Lavallee

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:23 am

Hi Tom, great work, you seem to have it under control. Besides your playing abilities what amazes me is how quick you learn the songs. Your mechanical memory is quite impressive. It would take me years to get where you are with this song.

Marc

tvarga

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am

Marc, that's funny. Two years ago I was convinced that I simply can't remember anything. What I finally realized is that I can't 'try' to memorize a song. What works is sheer repetition. I play the tab over and over and then at some point, I realize that I'm not really reading the tab any more and it's just happening. So now I'd like to offer encouragement to everyone that memorizing tough songs is possible and it just takes lots of repetition. Now, if only I could memorize lyrics the same way. I guess I'm one of those 'listeners' that never hears the lyrics of a song and instead I focus on the melody and playing.

buddy

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Tom, I wanted to thank you for putting this up in bits and pieces before you posted the entire song here. I find it really helpful to watch a song develop and understand and see you process while learning it. This is one tough piece of music but you have really moved it along and are doing a wonderful job with. Keep up your great work on this,

Bud

beaker

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Tom, that piece looks so complicated! I am so impressed that you made it through and learned it all! Really great, I thought I sounded excellent. I look forward to hearing Neil's comments on it when/if he review's it. All I can say is Nice One! Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic