Fleetwood Mac Landslide by suziko

suziko

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Landslide was one of the first fingerpicking songs that I tried to learn when I started playing guitar. The verses are just a repetition of 3 chords, which seemed easy enough. The problem was that, unless you sang it, the song was just too repetitive to be at all interesting. And singing has never been something I'm all that comfortable doing. When Neil put up the chord solo for Landslide I thought I'd just learn that and post it. However, posting just the chord solo didnt seem like enough, so then I figured I'd have a go at the whole thing, replacing the solo that usually comes after the first chorus with the chord solo. The song was challenging for me to sing, especially during the chorus where the picking pattern becomes more complicated and the melody moves all over the place. The chord solo involves many long stretches, and this is the first song that I've played that took me so much out of first position and moved me up and down the neck. I also found that I had to really work at finding a tempo that was fast enough for the singing parts, but not too fast for the chord solo. It still needs polishing, especially the solo, but I felt like I'd plateau'd a bit with it and was hoping for some helpful feedback. This is a song I'll be keeping in my repertoire.

As always, thanks for watching.

Suzi

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

beaker

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Suzi,
Hey that was a great version of Landslide. I like how you have incorporated the chord solo and the vocals and the whole package. I don't have any tips for you, just kudo's. Beaker.

buddy

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Suzi,

You should be so proud of this !!! The finger picking is just superb on this and the vocals are great as well. Really, really enjoyed it.

Bud

Music Junkie

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Suzi:

What a great cover of Landslide. Throwing in singing while fingerpicking is a big challenge, and I think you did a wonderful job. The chord solo was very nice as well. You made me smile so big when I saw this. You have made such great strides and I agree that you should keep this one in your repertoire.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Jason

tovo

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Suzi I think that, like your last video post, this represents a massive leap forward in your playing skills. I know you have worked very hard on this with strong support from a friend and the work shows. Not at all an easy tune to play and sing and I thought you did a really credible job of both. Stevie Nicks was my 1st great love (alas it was unrequited love) and when you sang "mirror in the sky" a little shiver passed through me!

It's great that you worked on the solo and that is coming along terrific. Some big stretches there which you handled really well. I felt that is the area that can still improve, just some slight hesitations. Of course this is just greater familiarity. I'm glad to hear the tune will stay in your repertoire, it belongs there for sure.

Great job you should be very proud.

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Just superb Suzi, definitely a keeper in your repertoire. Advice much the same as Tony i guess, more familiarity and with that comes greater conviction from that the tempo will even out and you will play the chord solo without any hesitation at all. Have you got rubber fingers? those stretches!! Way to go young lady very credible rendition even as it stands now.

Good on ya!

Chas

suziko

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Beaker- Thanks for your kind words, and thanks for watching!

Buddy- I'm really glad you enjoyed it! It's such a beautiful song and one that resonates with me on an emotional level, so I was hoping to do it justice.

Jason- Thanks! I'm glad I made you smile. When do we get to see a new vid from you? :)

Tony- I agree about the chord solo. It was one of those things that sometimes I'd get through it great, and sometimes completely muck it up. I think it's mostly a matter of repeat, repeat, repeat. I agree that this is such a great song. When I first started playing it/singing it, I had a hard time getting through it without getting choked up because the lyrics touch me so deeply.

Chas- You're right. I thought about waiting to post this because I know that if I practice for another few weeks, I'll play the chord solo better. But ultimately, I got impatient :)

heatndude

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Suzi that is great !!!!!! I had to listen to it at least three times I liked it so much.

Wow you have come a long way with your skill level and your voice is good for this song.

I did notice that at one point you kinda closed your eyes and your whole body got into the feeling of the song and at that point is where all went perfectly smooth for you ( if that makes any sense ?)

Hopefully you can join us at our next Jam to show us how its done !!!!!!!!

Mark

RicksPick

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Suzi Suzi Suzi

WOW WOW WOW

The real deal

It's official you now have groupies
that was so enjoyable

Not only have you nailed the guitar, singing, Now-
sitting on that chair :P
seroiusly now, that was some going

RicksPick

tvarga

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:53 pm

That was wonderful Suzi! Your playing and the solo is spot on! You can definitely play and sing that song for people and they'd have to be very impressed. I know what you mean about songs that get your emotions as I've tried a few and had the same thing happen. I suppose that's why we choose to learn and play them. :)

-Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic