Jethro Tull Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day by jcrocket

suziko

Mon May 02, 2011 8:31 am

Well done, Jay! That's a really tricky-looking song to play and especially to sing simultaneously. But you did a great job on both.

Suzi

Craig

Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 am

Jeff,
That was great! The playing was solid, that guitar of yours sounds great...the singing is very well done. You're being modest with an infield single... I say a solid line drive in the left/center field gap!
Way to go. I look forward to your next one.
Craig

MarkM

Mon May 02, 2011 11:04 am

Jeff,

It's so good to see another video from you. Ah but you tried a tricky one here for sure. I thought the playing was really very very good. You hit all the notes that I could tell and the clarity was superb. To sing on top of this was remarkable. You must know the song cold in order to do that. Congratulations on such a fine job. The only thing I could tell was in one small section, I think around the 1:40ish mark but have to go back and check, you quickened up the pace. Certainly no big deal as you then went right back to the original tempo. This is a really impressive job on this song and if I can remember correctly, a style in which you haven't showcased before. Thanks for sharing Jeff and great to see you again.

MarkM

BobR

Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 am

Jeff,

Very nicely done. Your playing sounded really clean, and your vocals were great. Your whole setup sounds so good.

Thanks for the look,

Bob

dennisg

Mon May 02, 2011 11:24 am

All I can say is ...wow! This is a song I've always loved, but never felt confident enough to tackle. I would have been dripping with envy if you'd just played it; the fact that you sang along with it has me off the charts with admiration for your achievement.

snipe

Mon May 02, 2011 11:42 am

Jeff,

Glad to see you play this. It is a difficult piece to sing and play at the same time. It does require a certain amount of skill to do this one! So my hat is off to you sir.
Really played and sung well. As far as im concered its a home run!

Mike

skaladar

Mon May 02, 2011 1:23 pm

I have to agree … very nice job Jeff, on a very tricky song both to play and to sing. I think you nailed it on both counts.
I thoroughly enjoyed your performance, and as is so often the case with great performances, was inspired by it.

Keep-em coming!

♫ Ken ♫

abiliog

Mon May 02, 2011 2:00 pm

A big WOW is all I can say Jeff,
I love this song and you're playing it up beautifully.
Thanks,
Abilio

jcrocket

Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 pm

Dean - thanks for the comments. Believe me, there's plenty of Ian songs I can't play.

Buddy - thanks so much, that means a great deal to me.

Tony - appreciate the feedback. I guess the low end was helped by having the mic pointed more towards the body, instead of at the 12th fret like before.

Rick - thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Willem - thanks for the comments. The flute playing has always been kind of his trademark, but as Neil has pointed out, the man is one of the more incredible acoustic guitar players and composers out there.

Vanessa - thanks, I really appreciate the kind words.

Suzi - thanks so much for the comments!

Craig - thanks man. If I was able to hit one up the gap, must be because of the "baseball grip" I use on the neck of the guitar ;)

Mark - thanks, I really appreciate your feedback. You're right - looking at the video, I definitely unknowingly quickened the pace at least once. When I do that, it usually means I'm not quite comfortable yet playing the song. Instead of relaxing and enjoying it, I think I subconsciously try to make it to the end before the whole thing falls apart - kind of like running across a burning bridge. That's one of the things I really like about the process of recording myself - I (and others) can see and hear opportunites for improvement that are hard to notice when I'm so focused on just getting through a song.

Bob - glad you enjoyed it, thanks!

Dennis - thanks, that's high praise coming from you, much appreciated!

Mike - knowing how well you play Ian's songs, your comments mean a lot, thanks. The Jethro Tull ball is now back in your court! ;)

Ken - glad you enjoyed it, appreciate the kind words.

Abilio - thanks so much for the feedback!

Jeff

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Jeff, that was a masterful performance of one of my all-time favorite up-tempo songs of impending doom.
How do you manage this?
Intricate picking (right side of brain ?) and great vocals of an off-kilter melody (right side of brain?) ... I dunno :blink:

Good show !
Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic