Jerry Jeff Walker Mr Bojangles by tovo

dennisg

Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

Tony,

I haven't been around much lately, so I'm sorry I'm late to the party. I think this song, with its demanding combination of picking and quick strumming represents a big step up for you. Not to embarrass you, but if you'd tried this song a year ago, you'd be blasting the strings on the strumming beats, but today you've acquired a much more delicate touch. And I know that was the result of a lot of hard work.

Two things I noticed: on some of the bass runs (including the very beginning of the song) it sounds like your picking isn't quite in sync with your finger movements. The result is that some of the notes are getting clipped off prematurely. The fix for that, of course, is more practice and slowing it down so that the notes are ringing as long as possible. The second thing is that it feels like you're adding an extra beat leading into the choruses.

I can only imagine how proud and happy you must be at the progress you've made, and you must be enjoying that feeling of being able to tackle just about any song that comes along.

AcousticAl

Tue May 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Hey there Tony,

I just saw this, and haven't read any of the other comments yet.. so pardon me if I'm repeating someone..

One thing that I'm recently discovering for myself is how great longer notes can sound. What I mean by that is being able to carry on one note into the next chord- or just delay letting go of the note a tad longer. I think your intro riff could benefit from some longer sustained notes. Blending together more? There's a song that Helen and I have worked on a few times that shows what I mean- but it's not ready to upload yet.

Anyways- sorry to be so vague. As always- you throw yourself into each song, which is great.

tovo

Tue May 03, 2011 1:51 pm

Rick: Thanks for your constant support and encouragement.

Jay: You should never hesitate to comment on tech issues mate. You are a real good player and if you spot something I'd lay money that it's worth mentioning. Thanks for your comment.

Chris: Thanks mate. I'm intrigued about the beard comment you have stowed away. C'mon....show some ticker. No guts no glory. Thanks for commenting on the tune.

Kevin: Glad you enjoyed this mate. Thanks for the support.

Hey Pete: Nice to hear from you. Thanks a lot.

David: Good to 'see' you as well! Thanks for taking the time.

Bear: Thanks as usual for the thoughtful comment. Yeah I have plenty of ideas now about where I am going wrong on the strum. Ideas I'm keen to work through. If I'm lucky enough to get a review I'm sure I'll get sorted out! I don't know if it represents my best effort but it does represent progress I think so that can't be bad!

Den: You don't embarrass me my friend. Thanks for being encouraging. This habit of clipping off notes is one that causes me some degree of trouble as I am aware of the fault from previous efforts but don't seem to be making much progress in addressing it. For me, hanging onto the notes longer seems to mess badly with my timing. I guess I need to slow it all down. I'll keep working. The extra beat was by mistake....hitting a note by mistake but I plowed on regardless. Working on the theory that I won't always be able to say "cut" and start again. Thanks Den.

Al: You are not vague, you are spot on I think and have noted the same thing as Den and others. I did hear it myself so the comment doesn't come as a surprise, I just need to work to fix it. If I can, I think I will have a good tune for me. Anyway it doesn't hurt to repeat advice for me....I have a particularly thick head and it takes a while for good advice to get through! lol. Thanks mate. I sure look forward to hearing Helen again..... You can join in if you must!

willem

Tue May 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Hey Tony, so good to see you again :cheer: , I've missed you!

And thank you so much for 'looking' at us! ;) I noticed that even before reading that Suzi said the same thing, so good of you to just do it!

And indeed, the song is just perfect for you! And the playing, picking out all those bassnotes, very well done!

As for suggestions, thankfully I just read the other comments and deleted my suggestions on that...they were the exact same two things that Dennis has already mentioned. As for the second one, I'd like to add that the chorus does start out with a big stroke on the Am (at least that's how Neil plays it), it's a big one indeed, it's just that it lasts for only one beat, you kinda let it ring for three beats instead, that's about it....but I guess you already got the picture! :)

Anyway, I loved it Tony, it was great to watch you playing and singing this song, thanks so much for sharing!

Cheers

Ness

AcousticAl

Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm

tovo wrote:
Thanks mate. I sure look forward to hearing Helen again..... You can join in if you must!
Ha! I'll tell H. you said that. She'll like you for it!
I do want to record another song with her- but it's tough to find time to play much right now. The pendulum shall swing the other way eventually..

michelew

Tue May 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Tony,

Sorry to be so late. i listened to it yesterday but was in the wrong head space to respind.

That was great! I really enjoyed it. You're really becoming an entertainer. Your contact with th eaudience was a big part of that too.

I agree with Dennis that your strunning and picking out notes is lightyears from where you were last year. You deserve to be up there with Suzi as the poster models for TG I reckon, given your improvement over the last year.

You've gotten some great advice so I won't repeat the things that have been said eventhough I know you hunger for feedback.

You really know how to tell a story mate. They touch me every time.

Thanks

Shel

tovo

Tue May 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Nesh: Thank you very much indeed. I'm glad that you noticed my stronger interaction with the camera. I've certainly used you as a role model there, you are so at ease with the camera and your joy and emotion shines through every time. I guess being such a very competent player helps enormously there, I am nowhere in your universe but as I improve I hope to be able to relax more and improve the performance aspect further.

Al: I sure look forward to you getting more time to produce more videos with Helen. Your duet on "The Fence" remains one of the most moving things I have seen on TG among a number of great performances.

Shel no worries. As we have discussed, all we are after is improvement, I think I am achieving that so I am reasonably happy. I'd be happy to be a poster model with Suzi but really....I think perhaps I am a little too good looking...she may be intimidated!

(That...in case I need to explain which I would hope I don't...is a joke). Suzi and I would be good in beauty and the beast. I'll leave it to y'all to decide who is who).

wammer

Tue May 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Tony
All of the Above...........Plus

Awesome ;)

tovo

Tue May 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Hey thanks Tammy. You're awesome as well! :)

BobR

Wed May 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi Tony,

I won't offer any advice other than Very nicely done indeed! !

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic