Jerry Jeff Walker Mr Bojangles by tovo

tovo

Tue May 03, 2011 2:07 am

Marc: Merci beaucoup mon ami. I so value your opinion and I'm really glad you appreciated my effort to tell the story.

Dean: Thanks mate (heard that a bit lately?) Does this mean you are staying? Hope it works out for you. Don't know if it's brilliant but it's a step in the right direction. Thanks a lot for the positive vibe.

Chas: I understand exactly what you are saying, I'm sure now I will hear the same from the man. I'll give that a go immediately, it will probably make it less rushed straight away. That's such great feedback I really thank you for it. Yeah.....razorblades are highly overrated mate!

Willem: Yes always trust your instinct mate! lol. Thanks Willem.

Chasplaya

Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 am

tovo wrote:
M
Chas: ... it will probably make it less rushed straight away.

It was the fact it was rushed, which I didn't pick straight away cos you were hitting everything else spot on that eventually led me to figure it out. Plus you were very consistent made it difficult to pick.

I've never played this till tonight and yup old pinky problem gives me difficulty with this but I reckon if I persevere I might get there.

tovo

Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 am

Chasplaya wrote:
tovo wrote:
M
Chas: ... it will probably make it less rushed straight away.

It was the fact it was rushed, which I didn't pick straight away cos you were hitting everything else spot on that eventually led me to figure it out. Plus you were very consistent made it difficult to pick.

I've never played this till tonight and yup old pinky problem gives me difficulty with this but I reckon if I persevere I might get there.
Well I think it's a great tune Chas and worth the effort to learn. As I think you know I have a wonky pinky finger also, but I have managed to train it somewhat and it is far more useful now than it used to be. As promised I also have the extra strum a go and although it will take me a while to pick it up, I really appreciate that you spotted the error.

RicksPick

Tue May 03, 2011 5:46 am

Hi Tony,
I totally enjoyed it
The guitar,singing, Hat and beard
Loved it all

RicksPick

jayswett

Tue May 03, 2011 6:10 am

As a new student to the flatpicking/strumming concept, I hesitate to give any suggestions since what I have to say might either make no sense, or worse, be flat out wrong. Nevertheless, my only suggestion is this: It seems that the pattern in this song is bass note, followed by Down Up Down. In your performance, the last down stroke seems abbreviated or muted, so I would suggest focusing on that last down stroke, which should be followed by a missed upstroke then the next bass note. Something like that.

As usual, yoiur video was thoroughly enjoyable. I wish I had your presence and vocal ability.

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 am

G'day Tony, great to see a new video from you and it's a mighty fine job you're doing too! Lots of plus points in this one. The bass line works really well and you've done some solid work there. The story telling angle and the voice works a treat as does your arrangement and the camera angle and projection to the camera. Guitar sounds great and I'd echo the comments on getting the treble strings to ring out more but I think Chas has spotted the big pointer.... sounded like the measures were being cut a little short which made it sound a tad quick (Cori's comment was on the money too).

All in all its a really good post documenting some solid progress on all levels..... and the beard prompted memories of one of the best one-liners heard from youth... but I can't bring myself to utter it here, being a family site an' all! :-) Great Job!

dekotaj

Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 am

Tony,My Friend.

Great to see you playing and singing again.Enjoyed your performance very much.BRAVO!!!Sir.

Kevin

pbraun

Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 am

Really nice Tony, the bass runs are so clear and adds so much to the song. The Taylor is sounding better all the time, and your singing really fits this song!
Pete

Catman

Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 am

Hey Tony,

Being late to the party (as usual) everything I could have said has already been said (and said better).

And even although it has already been said: Great Job!

David

BigBear

Tue May 03, 2011 11:14 am

Tony- that song was meant for you. Really fantastic job. Jerry Jeff would be proud.

You have progressed so far it's getting hard to find things to suggest to you. The only thing I saw is after you pick the bass notes you do a little down and up stroke that is really messing up the flow of the song. I'm not sure what the fix is. Maybe try a light downstroke only under the theory that less is better.

Other than that minor quibble your guitar work was great. And your vocals were terrific too because the song is in a good key for your voice.

This is your best effort to date! Congratulations on your hard work and incredible progress. Keep up the great work!

Rick

p.s. I think you sounded so good because The Hat is back!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic