Jerry Jeff Walker Mr Bojangles by tovo

sbutler

Mon May 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Great to see you again Tony. Packed some scrub back from the scrub (on your face) did ya. I suppose you are gettin ready for winter down under eh?

Anyway, Loved the song. I believe the first version that I ever heard was on some variety show, Maybe Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr did a tap dance to it. It went just a touch slower as I recal, but yours is just fine as well.

Thanks,
Scott

Craig

Mon May 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Tony,
That was really good. I played around with this one for awhile, I could sing it (mostly in the shower!) and I could play it OK... but it was very difficult for me to play and sing this one at the same time. You did a great job of it. I liked the "Bolangles voice", it showed a lot of creativity and added to the storytelling aspect of the song. A very solid post. Well done!
Craig

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Tony, this is one of those songs I heard as a kid that made me first start to realize that possibly in life some things don't work out quite as we hoped they would.

As memories go, "bittersweet" is the word for this one I guess. As for this video, I agree with MarkM that the word is "sweet". Give this tune a bit of time to "live hard" and you'll have me teary-eyed.

Great to see this,
Pierre

snipe

Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Tony,

I dont have any advice. But I will say your vocals are just right for this song.
Very cool. And The Tailor sounds really sweet.

Mike

jcrocket

Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Tony -

Great job, that's really good stuff. Really like the picking pattern, and as others said, your voice suits this song perfectly.

Jeff

tovo

Mon May 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Suzi: Thank you very much. I'm very glad you noticed my effort to engage more with the camera as it was advice from you and Ness that I really tried to take on board from my last video. It sure does make the whole effort a damn sight harder I must say, but gives a better performance result overall. I think if I ever pluck up the courage to play in public, this effort will pay off. An audience expects to be engaged by the performer. Yeah I followed the history of this tune with great interest, I think it's a bitter/sweet tune for sure. Thanks for your encouraging remarks, means a lot to me.

Dave: Thanks very much. I guess the trick for us all is picking tunes that suit our voice. I haven't always succeeded in that regard but that's cool, it's a learning curve. Appreciate your comment.

Scott: Yeah I went without the shaving when I was out scrub and I like not shaving so for a while I am continuing. It's definitely a winter thing only, too hot to have fuzz on your face in summer in Oz. You know, Dean Martin was such a legend. My feeling is he doesn't have quite the recognition that silky voice deserved. it was always a toss-up for me between him and Roy Orbison. I think I will try slow it down a bit, see how that goes. Thanks for the comment mate.

Craig: Thanks my friend. I say pull it out and give it a try. I actually think it is quite a challenge to play and sing, a lot of words in there. At least it was for me, others might find it easier. Thanks for the words.

Pierre: Thanks. Yep it's true, sometimes life sucks. This tune always got to me in that regard. It's one I want to continue to play, to make it one I can pull out if and when I make old man status. Thanks for taking the time.

Mike: Nice to 'see' you. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you thought it suited me. Like all of us, some of my favourite tunes are just not in my very limited range. Cheers.

Jeff: Thanks man. I so enjoyed your last post so I'm glad you liked this one from me. Looking forward to your next video already.

Lavallee

Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Tony, that was a great performance. You are a real entertainer, not just with your playing but the two voices thing was brilliant. This is how a story should be told , by living it it.

You surprise me every time

Marc

dtaylor

Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 pm

That's very impressive Tony, you've taken to heart the 'tell the story' advice Neil always gives and this is an object lesson on it. I can really see the progression in your technique, there's been good advice from others that will help, but it's all there already. Brilliant post.
Cheers from your Aussie compadre,
Dean

Chasplaya

Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am

Tony, Well sung great voice for this song, you are a great song story teller thats for sure. I did have to listen to this several times flick across to Neils lesson and back again as there was something I couldn't quite put my finger on. I think some of the guys are close about the treble strings, but its not a need to make them ring more I think its an extra 1/2 strum thats needed to make it 3/4, you seem to go too quickly to the next bass note, Its a Bass note and DU DU or variations on that theme according to Neil; having said that, also according to Neil its getting the clean bass notes that makes this song and you most certainly have got them nailed, the walk down in particular comes out very clear. I also like the interaction , looking at the camera more even if it was your face lol!

This site is always an education, I missed this lesson going up and would never have guessed it to be Jerry Jeff Walker, first time I recall hearing it it was Sammy Davis Jr.

I might give this one a crack mate, although a lot of pinky involved and thats hard for me with my bung pinky! I may just have to adapt...

Oh and Coles have razor blades on special this week!!! :laugh:

willem

Tue May 03, 2011 1:25 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Tony, Well sung great voice for this song, you are a great song story teller thats for sure. I did have to listen to this several times flick across to Neils lesson and back again as there was something I couldn't quite put my finger on. I think some of the guys are close about the treble strings, but its not a need to make them ring more I think its an extra 1/2 strum thats needed to make it 3/4, you seem to go too quickly to the next bass note, Its a Bass note and DU DU or variations on that theme according to Neil; having said that, also according to Neil its getting the clean bass notes that makes this song and you most certainly have got them nailed, the walk down in particular comes out very clear. I also like the interaction , looking at the camera more even if it was your face lol!

This site is always an education, I missed this lesson going up and would never have guessed it to be Jerry Jeff Walker, first time I recall hearing it it was Sammy Davis Jr.

I might give this one a crack mate, although a lot of pinky involved and thats hard for me with my bung pinky! I may just have to adapt...

Oh and Coles have razor blades on special this week!!! :laugh:

i wish i had trust my ears, i also thought there was a missing beat or a half one and i forgot to say that you really told the story..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic