Jerry Jeff Walker Mr Bojangles (Revisited) by tovo

tovo

Fri May 06, 2011 9:05 pm

After telling Den just a few days ago that I intend to post less, I go against that here because I really wanted to upload a version that saw me trying hard to take into account the brilliant feedback I received on the first video. I will say that my focus was less on performing and more on a few tips:

1. Trying to make notes ring for longer
2. Slowing the whole thing down
3. being less precise and more...well....jangly!

I don't really expect a heap of comment, I really just wanted to address those issues and see how it went. Not sure if it is much of an improvement but it was more for me.....and I wanted to get it up prior to any review.

Cheers....hope I am not stretching the friendship!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

cosmicmechanic

Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Tony,

I'm in a nitpicking mood, so this revised post is most welcome.

In a nutshell, I feel that in general your guitar playing is better in this new version, but that the vocals had a bit more wind in them in the previous version, and I preferred the blowhard. The Bojangles voice in the first version was even a bit surprising in it's credibility ... you did it softer here.

Both versions had something a bit dissonant in them at very very close to the same time, that is at the 2:42 mark. The chord there rings kind of strange to my ears, but maybe it was intended to be that way on purpose. Still, it's a compliment to your timing that the same event occurs in both versions at pretty much the same moment.

I won't nitpick any further ... that was damn fun to analyze :)

Pierre

tovo

Fri May 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Hey Pierre, nit pick away my friend that's exactly why I put it up. I'm not after "hey you are great" comments. The dissonant chord explanation is simple...it's the wrong chord! Both times. As you said...nice and consistently wrong!

I probably should have kept the practice version to myself. I was just excited about the feedback and wanted to incorporate it as quickly as possible.

Cheers mate.

cosmicmechanic

Fri May 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Tovo wrote:
... Hey Pierre, nit pick away ...
Ok, if you insist ...

I prefer the sofa in your "man-cave" (previous video) ... it has done some hard living !
Watch your wallet on the arm of the newer sofa (this video) ... can you really trust this sofa ?

cobalt1254

Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Sounds good to me. You really look like the guy in the group Sugarland!

jayswett

Sat May 07, 2011 5:28 am

Very nice. Definitely slower, better, and I would add that this seemed more precise. I realize that you were tyring to be LESS precise, but this slower version allowed you to hit the bass notes more precisely for what I could tell. This song is ready for open mic.

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 07, 2011 7:45 am

I think you'll find the stretch on the elastic band of the TG friendship goes a long way Tony, especially in your case. No worries!
I thought you did a really good job on letting the higher strings ring out and the cut-off has vanished leaving a pretty dam good version of one of your best songs. Timing sounded better. I agree with Pierre on the visuals... man cave sofa and camera angle better for your projection but its clear what you are going for here.
Great going Tony... and not at all like a country gentleman ;-)!

willem

Sat May 07, 2011 8:31 am

Tony,,i find it much better i hear the treble string now,,but i want to suggest to do it again a tad tad slower so that we here can do a slow waltz and click our heels and jump,,oke i go to be funny now but i really mean to slow it down a bit more then you already did...can you tell me which strum you use,,is it BASS DU D,or BASS DUDU??? Maybe it is only me(i think so) but i can't count your strumming 1 2and 3,or 1 2and 3and,,i geuss its me..

i loved it again..

Lavallee

Sat May 07, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Tony, it sounds really great, as others have said this open mic ready. I know you do not like them, but you benefit from a strap as when you play your elbow rest on your lap and you can see that your bar finger of the F chord is over the over the first fret muting the bass note somewhat. This is another good song to practice alternate picking . It still sounds good when you pick the bass run with down strokes but you loose a bit of fluidity as it sounds a bit more staccato.

I hope you record the open mic performance

Marc

tovo

Sat May 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Cobalt: Thanks for commenting. I guess I have to check out the band Sugarland!

Jay: Thanks a lot, I took the comments I received and tried to use them.

Chris: Thanks. My purpose was to incorporate the tech tips I got from the initial version. I agree with Pierre that it's not as energetic vocally as the first but as you correctly spotted, I wasn't focused on that for this update. Cheers mate. No country gentlemen around here!

Willem: For this one I did bass then DUDU for most of it.

Marc: I've gotten lazy with the strap. I must take the time to put it on. I'll have a try at picking out the bass run using alternate. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic