Honky Tonk Women (acoustic version) Dennis

dennisg

Mon May 09, 2011 3:51 pm

First, a clarification: this version of Honky Tonk Women by the Rolling Stones is actually their little-known acoustic blues version called Country Honk. Confused? Sorry. I decided to put Honky Tonk Women in the subject line rather than Country Honk because I thought the former would attract more viewers than the latter -- much as I did over a year ago with Junk and Sing-along Junk.

Country Honk was released a full five months after Honky Tonk Women and, despite appearing on a massively successful album (Let it Bleed), proceeded to get zero airplay on American radio, probably to avoid cannibalizing the hugely popular electric version of the song. But I'm speculating.

I learned both versions recently, and while I enjoy playing the electric version, I find the acoustic version to be far more challenging and fun to play.

I'm not really sure why the Rolling Stones set Honky Tonk Women in one city ("I met a gin-soaked barroom queen in Memphis...") and Country Honk in another ("I'm sittin' in a bar, tipplin' a jar in Jackson..."). And several other things about the song are different from the original version. But you'll definitely recognize the chorus as something you've heard many, many times before.

One thing I should mention in closing is that I originally had no intention of posting this song, but Suzi talked me into it. So now you know where to direct your outrage.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

suziko

Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Man, was that ever SWEET!! I can't even believe how much your fingers are moving around during that song. "Play it with me now?" I wish! That looks like the hardest song I've seen you play, and I can't even fathom how you can play that and sing it at the same time. Did you hammer-on an F# with your thumb on that D chord? It sure looked like it to me. Sheesh.... Your voice sounds great for this song, too. Just the right about of "grit" to get that honky tonk feel. Somebody bring me a bucket of Lone Stars!

Suzi

michelew

Mon May 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Den,

You are SUCH a cool, fun guy.

Well you sure have me smiling now. Thank you

I LOVED IT!

Ditto to everything Sue said.

Your fingers were just blurs, your voice was fabulous and really pulled me in and the whole things was rockin'.

Cool!

shel

Lavallee

Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Dennis, very fun version of Honky Tonk Women. You really seem to have a good time. Singing and playing are great. I enjoyed the strumming variation. I particularly like the bridge solo at about 2:10 where you use your thumb right after the run.

You always pick fun and unexpected songs. You are full of surprise.

Marc

tovo

Mon May 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Den, I'm always impressed with your playing, your voice and your easiness. (with a guitar I have heard no rumours) You just look so damn comfortable and you have such a great feel for songs. Real bluesy feel on that. I really like it very, very much and you made what appears to me to be some tricky changes look very easy, which is surely a sign of a good player. On one riff I noticed it speed up ever so slightly. So slightly that I feel a bit silly mentioning it, but I know you are not a 'blow sunshine up my tailpipe guy'. Given that you put it in the review section I thought you would want any feedback possible...but you made it pretty damn hard. Great job, one of your best.

MarkM

Mon May 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Dennis..........Dude.....................

Huge SMILE :) :) :) on my face right now!!!!!! I was anticipating this and was so happy to see it pop up today. Great freaking job!!! I loved your voice on this song, especially in the beginning of the song. This is one of my all time favorites of yours. I can't express how much I liked this performance. Pass the bottle and do it again........................Thanks for sharing!!

MarkM

skaladar

Mon May 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Very nice Dennis. I had all but forgotten about this version but your playing and singing were so on the money it came back to be right away ... gawd I love this place!
I have to agree, you did give it just the right feel and you looked like you were having fun doing so ... as it should be.
Now, if you could only add a little fiddle in there somehow :-) hehe

Thanks for sharing

♫ Ken ♫

coomba

Mon May 09, 2011 5:19 pm

G'day Dennis

Very cool

Cheers Scott

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 09, 2011 5:48 pm

A rocking good song Dennis! Like Marc, I really liked the solo. I'd never heard that version before so it was pretty cool.
I like the plugged in voice but was wondering how the guitar would sound unplugged or just picked up by the mike ... a little more acoustic perhaps? I'm just curious if it would add something ... that would be my only suggestion. Great job!

Craig

Mon May 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Dennis,
I really enjoyed that. I actually prefer that version over the more popular electric version. I thought your playing sounded good and your voice is very well suited for that type of song. Very well done!
Craig
P.S. Thank you Suzi :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic