Honky Tonk Women (acoustic version) Dennis

millponddave

Mon May 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Dennis, that was great! I really enjoyed that version very much.

Dave

dennisg

Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Suzi: I was going to save Country Honk to post as a Keith Richards birthday song, but I decided to take your advice and post it now. I mean, who knows if Keith will be around in December? Anyway, thanks for the suggestion; this song is a blast to play and sing. And, yeah, that's a hammer with the thumb on the F#. Thanks for everything.

Michele: Thanks, pal. I'm pretty sure I'm too old to be cool, but I like the idea that you think I can still be cool.

Marc: This would be a hard song to perform and NOT have a good time. It's best to just go with the flow.

Tony: Thanks so much, mate, for all the nice things you said. Yeah, I think I know just the place you're referring to where the song sped up: "I laid a divorcee in New York City." I must have been pretty anxious to get to her. And you're darned right that I want feedback. Bring it on!

Mark: I always look forward to (and appreciate) your comments. This would be a really good song for an excellent flat-picker like you to learn because it teaches you how to sync fast movement with your fretting hand to the picking and strumming with your right hand. Until this song, I had never tried anything like this. The more I pay attention to Keith Richards, the more I appreciate his playing.

Ken: I hear ya ... I'd love to have a fiddle in there. It's just what the song could use. Kind of fun, isn't it, to hear an old favorite for the first time in many years? Thanks for your support.

Scott: I appreciate it, mate. Thanks for stopping by.

Chris: I'm very unhappy with the recorded sound quality I get. It's not the guitar. And for once I can't blame it on my playing. There's something that happens once the amp hands off the signal to the Kodak that craps up the quality. I'm going to take your advice and try miking the guitar the next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Craig: Since I wasn't a Stones fan growing up, I had no idea Country Honk even existed until recently, when I was looking on YouTube for a version of Honky Tonk Women. And I loved it from the moment I heard it.

Dave: Thanks so much. It was one of the more enjoyable songs I've played recently.

buddy

Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Dennis,

YES !!!!!!!!! Way to rock this out and really let it go. For a guy with shaved legs you sure can get funky :-)

Bud

BobR

Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Dennis,

I must say I am glad you put the info up front. I hadn't heard of Country Honk, and man I loved it . You always seem to have fun :cheer: :cheer:

Thanks for sharing

Bob

(Thanks Suzi :laugh: )

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Dennis, as houses of ill repute go, yours must be the tidiest in all of Washington State.
I suppose you must have all manner of helpful suggestions to help us fellow lost souls brighten up our own dingy, smoke-filled dens of sin.
Don't be selfish, please please tell us how you manage to make spilled gin smell like air-freshener?

Your energetic performance made my day ... sometimes the best fun is seeing someone else have a hoot.
The Stones' acoustic songs are actually those I prefer the most, "Beggar's Banquet" being my favorite of their albums.
Great vocals as usual, I'll definitely try out that picking style.

Very glad to see this !

Pierre

lueders

Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Dennis, I really like this version!I MUST Learn it! Any pointers/suggestions/whatever you have would be most appreciated...the whole (song start to finish) seems more intimate and and conducive to a solo performance.

Another great, solid performance from D-man!! Thanks for posting!!!

Cori

Chasplaya

Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 am

Great job Dennis, last time I heard this was when I lived in Scotland quite a good few years ago. Brings back memories. One observation is that on the Intro C to G you do all down strums I pretty much recall its a down up 8th note strum which might be easier than what your are doing. Their is a version around with Mick Taylor playing slide around the main riffs as well as the fiddle.

So thanks for this post and absolutely no outrage to either you or Suzi for this if anything Karma points!! Ha remember them?

willem

Tue May 10, 2011 3:46 am

Dennis,,''give me the honky bleus'' why?? you got it..has a beatle fan you really sang it with a stones heart,,i saw you closed your eyes and get deep in it,,loved the solo and i played with you,humm i wish.. i loved that one high note on the text ''bleus'' (2.43),, i certainly must nail some stones songs but i am distract on ''Michelle''..thank you very much for your show and i bet you did it in one take..

Willem

edit 17:30 pm.. 5 may 2011.....sorry Dennis but the thread '''sexiest song all time'' gets more views then your great stones song'

RicksPick

Tue May 10, 2011 5:24 am

Loved it Dennis

Im such a stones fan, so thanks
This rocked, great beat to it
Great singing man

RicksPick

dennisg

Tue May 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Buddy: Thanks so much for your vote of confidence. Coming from a person who's had a sex-change operation, that means a lot to me.

Bob: The song is relatively new to me, too. It's impossible not to have fun with this song.

Pierre: I've always said, "A tidy whorehouse is a happy whorehouse," and I think my wife, Madam Jamie, would agree with me on that one. I wish I could spill a little gin -- down my throat. Instead, I'm on a no-alcohol-forever diet due to a pesky bout of pancreatitis. I'll have to check out Beggar's Banquet to see what's what with the Stones. Thanks for your continued support.

Cori: I'd be more than happy to do a video showing exactly how this song is played -- except for the fact that it's against the rules here. If you want to PM me with specific questions, I'd be more than happy to spill the beans. I've sung this song for a group of people, and when it first starts off, no one quite knows what it is -- until you get to the chorus, and then everyone joins in with harmonies. Great group song. I also think it would make a great lesson because the playing technique seems to be unlike any of the other lesson songs.

Chas: I'll gladly accept your karma points. Thanks. And I'll take a look at the strumming to see if it's more efficient the way you suggested.

Willem: Thanks so much for your support. I think working on "Michelle" (the song, not the person) is a very productive use of your time, because that's such a beautiful song. I had no idea it was so difficult until I saw Vanessa play it. I think Suzi could post a video of herself reading a book and she'd get more views than my threads get.

Rick: Thanks so much. Keep working on Here Comes the Sun. I'm really interested to see where you take it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic