Honky Tonk Women (acoustic version) Dennis

pbraun

Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 am

Dennis, what great fun to listen to, I enjoyed that alot
Pete

dekotaj

Fri May 13, 2011 9:50 am

BRAVO!!!BRAVO!!!

Hey big D.Got to say that one got me bouncing in my seat,My foot a tapping and fingers a snapping.Just love what you do with a song!!!Bravo!!Sir.Bravo!!

Kevin

P.S.Like the thumb over to catch that F#.Great job

dennisg

Fri May 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Pete: Thanks so much. I appreciate it.

Kevin: Haven't heard much from you lately, but I'm really glad you stopped by. Thanks, Kevin.

jayswett

Sat May 14, 2011 5:59 am

That was great. Just curious; could you have played like that two years ago? I ask that quesiton because I know you've been playing guitar for many years.

dennisg

Sat May 14, 2011 8:44 am

That's an interesting question, Jay. Two years ago I could play a few chords and travis pick. That's about it. I had no discipline to delve into difficult songs and, frankly, no inclination to learn anything. I can't imagine that I could have played Country Honk or Blackbird a couple of years ago -- or at least, I can't imagine that I could (or would) have learned them as easily as I have. Country Honk took some effort just to coordinate my fingers; and it was no easy thing to compartmentalize the guitar play in my brain so that I could then sing over the top of it. Same with Blackbird. I doubt that it would have happened two years ago.

What makes you ask?

Chasplaya

Sat May 14, 2011 2:30 pm

dennisg wrote:
That's an interesting question, Jay. Two years ago I could play a few chords and travis pick. That's about it. I had no discipline to delve into difficult songs and, frankly, no inclination to learn anything. I can't imagine that I could have played Country Honk or Blackbird a couple of years ago -- or at least, I can't imagine that I could (or would) have learned them as easily as I have. Country Honk took some effort just to coordinate my fingers; and it was no easy thing to compartmentalize the guitar play in my brain so that I could then sing over the top of it. Same with Blackbird. I doubt that it would have happened two years ago.

What makes you ask?

Hi Dennis, This is a thing I also often wonder how much, not just you but other members also, have improved, and is it all down to TG tuition. Or is TG the catalyst in some way and not solely responsible.

dennisg

Sat May 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Chas, I do most of my learning through the songs that I play that demand that I know certain techniques, unusual chords, or new fingering patterns. I don't necessarily learn those things directly from TG lessons, since most of the songs I play are non-Target songs. But, without a doubt, being a Target member provides the impetus to make me want to learn more. I enjoy the process of learning something new with the end result of having a great new song in my repertoire. Of course, one of the milestones along the way is posting the song on TG and getting feedback.

BigBear

Sat May 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Dennis- I love that verrsion, although I've never heard it before. Is it on an album?

Especially good vocals on this one and the guitar work was rock solid. Another really excellent performance.

Well done indeed! Thanks for sharing! :cheer:

dennisg

Sun May 15, 2011 8:06 am

BigBear wrote:
Dennis- I love that verrsion, although I've never heard it before. Is it on an album?

Especially good vocals on this one and the guitar work was rock solid. Another really excellent performance.

Well done indeed! Thanks for sharing! :cheer:
Thanks so much, Rick. Yeah, Country Honk was on the Stones' Let it Bleed album.

AcousticAl

Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 am

I watched this video before the weekend, but didn't get a chance to comment on it..

You got SOUL, Dennis! Really enjoyed your upload.

I also continue to benefit from your knowledge of songs that are a little off the beaten path. Of course I know Honky Tonk Women-- I might have even done a drunken version in karaoki at some point- but didn't know about this alternate one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic