George Harrison Give Me Love by RicksPick

RicksPick

Thu May 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Willem, Thanks for the great comment.

Suzi many thanks but there will be no singing here, Im one of those that carnt hold a note.

Chris I always try to follow your advice, ;) , syc part ( left hand ) is hit and miss

Anton check your ears :P :laugh: , thanks for the nice comment

Thanks Craig its something Ive been working on, with the help of a tapping foot, when it remembers to go

Tony Tony Ah I totally agree, I carnt get my hand over the hole, something to work on though, with more emphasis too, thanks dude

Hey thanks Brad sweet reply

Dennis wow thanks

Stuart thanks I will be trying sugestions

thanks everyone, I had stalled with this now I can try again

RicksPick

mark

Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi Rick
I think you have this down really well.

The fact that you have asked how to improve the sound implies that there is something you don't like.
Is it the tone? The tone sounds fine to me but if that is it, there are a few things you could try.

try different picks - this can make a surprising difference to tone
try changing the right hand position - this has been mentioned already
possibly try strumming more lightly but at the same speed

RicksPick

Thu May 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Mark , no more new tunes for a while, ive been on overload lately, so much stuff!!!
going to work on these suggestions you kind people are giving.

Rick

lueders

Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 pm

That sounds pretty darn fluid, Rick. I concur with Craig & Dennis...your hand is quite the metronome!
Great Post...Thanks.

Cori

MarkM

Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Rick,

Well done. I think this is your best strumming song to date. The tempo was spot on and you kept the timing up throughout. Good for you!!! Nice melody notes as well. You've gotten some great advice so far in this thread so the only thing I will add is to add on Marks comment regarding the pick. I'm not sure if you are using one here or if you are using the invsisible pick strum. If your just using your fingers I would try it with a pick as you might get a more consistant sound as well as being able to alter the volume or stress certain beats. All in all I think that you have the technique down and your just about all the way there. Let's hear some vocals.....................

Thanks for sharing!!!!

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Thu May 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi Rick,

Just wanted to give a thumb's up to this effort ... you are getting there for sure.

Even if you aren't singing the words yet, you might be able to manage adding some ooooohhhhhmmmm here and there.

Come to think of it, ooooohhhhhmmmms are great anytime, you don't have to be playing a George Harrison song for that :)

Nice progress for sure,

Pierre

Hydroman52

Fri May 13, 2011 10:01 am

Rick,

Nice job! You are landing the chords solidly. Very good rhythm. The notes you played on the first string in the intro were nice and clear. Later, when you play first string notes about mid-way through (at about 0:36 thru 1:00), they seemed to get lost a bit. I could still hear them, but you might want to try making them stand out a little more. To me, this is part of the song's signature, and it's very important to hear it as clearly as possible. It seems like the lower notes may be covering it up.

I am familiar with this song (have heard it many times before), but I have never played it. Since I am a firm believer in the "practice what you preach" method of life, I grabbed my guitar and played along with your video and then reviewed the lesson to figure out how I would go about bringing these notes to the front more.

So the chords for this part are in the shape of the D, Dmaj7, and D7 (capoed at the 3rd fret, they are Key of F and not actually D as Neil mentions in the lesson). For me, the fingering on the D and D7 shapes is a no-brainer . . . . just the way it is done in the lesson. However, I find it much easier to play the Dmaj7 with only two fingers . . . index and middle. My index is on the 3rd string/2nd fret and my middle is pressing down on the 2nd string/2nd fret AND the 1st string/2nd fret. Then I use my pinky to fret the 1st string/3rd fret ("virtual" G . . . . but actually A# because we are capoed at the 3rd fret) and then, to play the open 1st string, I just rock my hand a little bit upwards and arch my fingers a little more while keeping both fingers where they are. This causes the middle finger to lift off of the first string while still keeping the 2nd string fretted at the 2nd fret. This all reads more complicated than it actually is and it all boils down to just a slight motion.

I'm not saying that this is the way to do it. There are probably a jillion reasons why this is wrong, but I have a very tough time getting three of my fat fingers all bunched up in that small space, and this was my solution. One thing that I would highly recommend is to always use the same fingering for the Dmaj7 shape whenever you play it in this song. I think that you used your index finger to barre all three strings whenever you didn't need to play the little 1st string lick. This is probably easier, but you are doing such an excellent job landing the chord using the index, middle, and ring finger (the method that Neil shows in the lesson in order to play the 1st string licks) that, in the end, you may be further ahead if you stick with that one method all the time . . . . just my observation/opinion.

In order to bring the 1st string licks to the front more, I just concentrated on hitting the entire chord or just the bass note on the first strum of the chord and only the 1st and 2nd strings for the rest of the chord while the lick is being played. This made the 1st string notes jump out while the bass notes were still ringing in the background.

Thanks for putting up this post. It provoked me to grab the guitar and discover another great little song that I may have otherwise overlooked.

Hydroman52

RicksPick

Fri May 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Cori thanks dude thats quite a compliment, cheers

Mark(M) I was wondering if someone would catch me on the invisible pick, Ok time to bite the bullet and dust off a pick

Pierre, intresting idea but I bet I hum out of tune too :(

Hydro, I just want to rock like you do, I can normally get those notes to stand out but didnt strum the right strings to make them ring out,
So good ears you have there, Better next update when I use all the tips Ive been getting.
You can jam with me anytime.

Thanks
RicksPick

pbraun

Sun May 15, 2011 6:13 am

Rick, I thought too that it was very good and your strumming really was great. A great song and not as easy as it might look. I haven't played it much since I did it a while ago. It is time to play along with yours and Neils lesson now and try to improve mine!
Great job on the really cool song!
Pete

RicksPick

Sun May 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Pete, you been away?
I am pleased with this tune as my strumming seems to have improved some what.
Still areas to work on but,,,, thanks mate and jam along please

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic