jayswett learning Never Going Back Again guitar lesson

jayswett

Wed May 18, 2011 9:53 pm

wammer wrote:
Good day fellow Gleek LOL
I love that show. One of my favorite scenes from that show was Imagine, with the school for the deaf. If you haven't seen that episode, check it out on youtube.

jayswett

Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hey Jay, great to see a video from you ....sbeen a while. There is a lot of solid work there and looks like you have mastered it. I like this tune and you do a great job! Maybe one thing which could improve it is to have the higher notes come through stronger... sound a little bass and medium heavy... were you plugged in?
I agree regarding the high notes. I am getting used to this guitar, and I suspect I need to adjust the settings. Will work on that.

jayswett

Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 pm

dennisg wrote:
Jay,

I am both immensely impressed and hugely envious at your playing this song. I love it! And I also love the fact that you learned the bridge section that isn't included in the TG tab. This song represents one of the dragons that I'm eager to slay, and watching you play it so well reminds me to get to work on this song. Really, a great job.

There's one part of the song that didn't sound quite right to me, and I'm going to apologize up front because I don't have the tab in front of me, so I won't be able to describe precisely where that part is or why it sounds off. But it comes immediately after that barre up the neck you do; it's a sort of transition section that comes right after Lindsey sings "Been down one time, been down two times..."

Still, that part represents about 0.1 percent of an otherwise brilliant version of this song.
I have no doubt you will be able to learn this song, and learn it in alot less time than it took me. As for the transition part you mentioned, I completely agree that it sounds off. I'm pretty sure I am playing the note as indicated in the tab, but it's never sounded right to me, but I include the note because of the tab. Anwyway, maybe Neil can clear it up if he sees fit to review it. This song as played by others has been reviewed at least once, maybe more, so he may not see any educational purpose in reviewing it again. I just tried playing the song again, leaving that note out (4th fret, 6th string) and it sounds better to me.

AcousticAl

Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

HUGE smile on my face when I saw you uploaded this, Jay.
I literally just played this song again last night after shelving it for a looong time. It actually seemed to come a bit easier (after I re-learned the pattern!)

Anyways- back to YOU--
Your clockwork fingerpicking definitely didn't disappoint.
This version is different than the one Neil posted, right? It has a nice bridge in it that adds to the song. Do you have tab for it?

Really well done.

jayswett

Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 pm

buddy wrote:
Jay, Great to see you post up a video. I think you did a superb job on this tune. I did not know that you played a Seagull either so that was an extra treat to hear this song on one. You must have put a lot of work into that and it really payed off for you.

Bud
I just got that Seagull a week or so ago. It's defintiely a step up from my Alvarez guitars, but not the Taylor that I'd like to get eventually.

haoli25

Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm

When I grow up I want to play guitar like Jay. :cheer: Bravo.

I did notice that your version was a little faster than Lindsey's. Since I don't watch GLEE, is that by design?

Bill

jayswett

Wed May 18, 2011 10:15 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
This version is different than the one Neil posted, right? It has a nice bridge in it that adds to the song. Do you have tab for it?
I remember when you posted an early version of this, and my thought at the time was, "How did he learn that so fast?" It hadn't been up as a lesson for very long. As for the tab for that instrumental part, I do have some tab for it that I'd be happy to get to you. It's not a great tab, but close enough that it sounds similar to that version he does with Stevie Nicks (see Bill's post above). I don't recall if I have your email.

Lavallee

Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 pm

It was greatly played Jay, this one of the songs that is on my guaranty list of songs I will learn. If you do not mind sending mer your tab for the bridge< I would appreciate it marc.lavallee2@sympatico,ca

This is one song you could play at 48 below with your lady friend that has an angel voice.

Marc

lueders

Wed May 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Spectacular, Mr. Buckingham!! I won't say much because your finger-picking prowess is light-years beyond mine!!!
I have one oddball question for you however...I noticed you have a kaiser capo there. I have a couple myself.
I think the clarity a person gets from them is great. I believe they are a popular capo too. But with this style of
capo do you find that the handle of the thing gets in the way when you are fretting & switching close to the nut
with...let's say... I dunno, maybe a B minor 7 chord?

Great job, Jay (please excuse my capo inquiry.)

jayswett

Thu May 19, 2011 5:29 am

haoli25 wrote:
When I grow up I want to play guitar like Jay. :cheer: Bravo.

I did notice that your version was a little faster than Lindsey's. Since I don't watch GLEE, is that by design?

Bill

Bill,
The original recording of this is fast. The version to which you linked is slower, and I think that is the better version. I was trying to play it slow, but as usual got caught up in the moment and the notion of playing it slowly and deiliberately went out the window. I will definitely post a followup version with the helpful comments in mind.
Jay

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic