Ivory Salamander by sbutler

AcousticAl

Wed May 25, 2011 8:45 am

"Take that!!" Great quote at the end, Scott.

Looks like a very tough one that you've spent MANY hours on, and it shows.

Congrats!

dekotaj

Wed May 25, 2011 8:51 am

BRAVO!!Scott

I really enjoyed watching you play this song.
Thank for sharing
Kevin

skaladar

Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am

Very nicely done Scott. I liked your commentary at the end too. I was very impressed with your control and the left hand fingering ... Your hard work really shows ... Great sounding guitar too :-)

♫ Ken ♫

suziko

Wed May 25, 2011 11:01 am

Scott, I know all too well how butt-kicking this song can be! I struggled with it for a long time before I posted it, and it still wasn't right! I still play it regularly, though, because it's just so much fun to play. I agree that the D section is hard, though I think you did a great job on it. I like that you added the bass walk down from C to Am, which I don't think is in the tab (unless I'm mistaken) but which I remember Neil recommending I add when he reviewed my video. I also thought you nailed the last section (the Bm section), which is just as tricky as the D section if not more. Your barre and hammer on in the Bm sound very clean.

I don't really see any problems with your version. Maybe some very, very minor timing on some of the pull-offs, but I'm almost ashamed to even say that because the song in general was so nicely done. Congratulations!

Suzi

dennisg

Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 am

Way to make that new Taylor sing, Scott. Great job on a very action-packed song. I didn't see a single thing that can't be improved with a little practice, but I've got to say that it looks like you're about 95 percent there -- and that's saying a lot considering the difficulty of the song.

BobR

Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 am

Scott,

THanks for sharing. Your hand position looks right on. You've done a fine job on this. The guitar sounds great too.

Bob

sbutler

Wed May 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You all.

This is a really cool song, and it proved to me (what I probably already knew) and that is the difficulty rating of songs is always a relative thing.

I started on this song months ago, and almost immediately, put it on the shelf. It was just too much for me. And for the record Suzi, I got that bass walk up by watching Neils review of your upload. I've watched it quite a lot. Those reviews are just as valuable to me as the original lessons are.

This also proved something else too me as well. That is, the basic's and techniques taught here on TG work. The hand placement, the pull off's, the picking patterns. Its all in there. I would recommend this song to anyone that wants to find out if their hand placement is close enough. I found out that mine wasn't.

The main thing that I'm dissapointed in here, is the sound volume. If you look closely, you'll see the little clip on mic, that I got when I bought the camera, clipped to my pant leg smack in front of the guitar. It still sounded weak to me.

So if you want a song that gives your fingers a work out, and just like Chevy Chase in the European Vacation movie, where he just drives around the turnaround without seaming to have and end, this song is for you.

Thanks again everyone.

Scott

Craig

Wed May 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Scott,
Very smooth, steady, clean. I thought you did a really good job with this! Congratulations on your new Taylor, it sounds great!
Craig

millponddave

Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Wow, That was great. It does indeed look like a very difficult song. Very nice.

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Thu May 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Scott, you were going like a motor there, going through it's cycles with no piston slaps, turning roundly.

Congratulations, you should show off more !
Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic