TwoCatSam Margaritaville guitar lesson review upload

TGMike

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:48 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tovo

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Hey Sam. Good video. In my non-expert opinion you need to work much more on the rhythm of the folk strum. Slow it down and concentrate on the pattern for a while. I thought about a video but there's already a video...Neil's. Go to the campfire version and go over his explanation of the folk strum again. Play along with him. Try doing to doo doo doo he does instead of singing at first. Then gradually add the vocals.

You need to get it to where you don't have to think about keeping the beat so that you can sing.

You could try a metronome as well. It will help.

Good luck mate. Stick with it!

willem

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Sam,,i looked for you to some standaard sheetmusic from this song and it say's the first singin word is on count three of the measer,,and the whole line is syncopating over to the second measer also on the D chord,,so the word ''sponge'' goes over in the second measer(only 1/8 note) and the word ''cake'' comes in on the AND from 1 and..

D
1-2 -3 and-- 4 and-- 1-- and---- 2- 3 and 4 and

------nib-blin on sponge cake

willem

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:27 pm

OK, I have my assignments........

tovo

With my head phone on one ear and my guitar in the other, I do play with Neil on Part Two. I'm sure I get off and speed up. As to a metronome, Neil does not use one in the campfire version. If I were counting the 1/4 notes (1 2 3 4), what would you advise setting it on? I'll work on the doo doo do do doo............

willem

I will make me a sheet reflecting what you wrote.

I am a visual person in that I remember what I see five times better than what I hear.

TwoCat

EDIT: How does one add an avatar? I've looked high and low.

willem

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:36 pm

TwoCatSam wrote:
OK, I have my assignments........

tovo

With my head phone on one ear and my guitar in the other, I do play with Neil on Part Two. I'm sure I get off and speed up. As to a metronome, Neil does not use one in the campfire version. If I were counting the 1/4 notes (1 2 3 4), what would you advise setting it on? I'll work on the doo doo do do doo............

willem

I will make me a sheet reflecting what you wrote.

I am a visual person in that I remember what I see five times better than what I hear.

TwoCat

Sam,,i am a visual guy too so i buy also a standaard sheet music from the song to see were the lyrics are under the beats,,,,on musicnotes.com....... or look just to the first page given when trying to buy it they give the fist page to have a look.....an avatar you can add on your profile page

willem

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Original the song goes 116 beat per minute(1 beat is 1 quarter note) this looks fast but is'nt.....but you must really slow down your practice speed maybe set it on 70 bpm...as for the singin you can hum(like Tovo said) it,,
First have the strumming down(progression) and when you can dream it then start singin...

haoli25

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:45 pm

TwoCatSam wrote:
TwoCat

Sam, click on COMMUNITY tab above, then PROFILE and CHANGE PROFILE PICTURE. You can easily upload an avatar there. Make sure the file is small.

Bill

(P.S. That Green Aussie Guy is pretty smart. That is really good advice he gave you.)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi Sam! You came in one with Nibbling just fine. Willem explained it exactly as I see it. My suggestion on dealing with the one-track mind problem is to just hum the song or da da da it so you don't have to worry about lyrics for a while. Just get your strumming and timing and chord changes going until they start to become automatic. The more that sits, the more brain space you'll have available for the lyrics. We are all one-track minders really.... we just need to have some bits on auto pilot so we can switch to what we need to focus on. Have fun!
Chris

MarkM

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Sam. You've got some good advice here already. Get the tempo down and just play that until it is second nature. Play along with Buffets version for some inspiration and you'll be there in no time. I couldn't get my head wrapped around trying to sing either. I can't explain it but one day something just clicked and I was able to do it. The more familiar you get with the song the better off you'll be. Play along with Neil or Jimmy for a few days and then try and add the vocals. You'll get there!!!!!

MarkM

AcousticAl

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey there Sam,

Great to see a vid from you so soon.

I can TOTALLY understand your issue with strumming vs. singing. I had (and still have) that problem- depending on which song I'm trying to do. Only advice I have is what's already been said. REPETITION.
Practice it over and over and over (and over) again. Practice the strumming until you don't have to think about the pattern. Practice the lyrics until you don't have to think about them.

I'm having such a hard time with Jack Johnson's "Times Like These". Been working on it for a few days now- but it seems like an eternity when you just can't get it right.

Good luck and keep posting!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic