Neil Young Unknown Legend- Chord Solo by AcousticAl

willem

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:43 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Willem,

There is no lesson on this song.
I meant that I took what I learned from Neil's chord solo lessons and figured out 'Unknown Legend' (sort of)
Yes i know Al,,i thought it would be nice to have the link of the chord solo lessons here,,i think i am lazy......

skaladar

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:26 am

Very nicely done Al. I really like the idea and concepts Neil puts forward for chord solos but I have yet to attempt it. You’ve helped me along in that direction with your post by giving me another perspective. Thanks for that. I’m looking forward to your next installment.

Willem, I think this is what you are looking for. Both links have essentially the same content.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -arranging

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -i-package

♫ Ken ♫

AcousticAl

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 am

Pierre- as you know, the point of chord solo(ing?) is that I DON'T sing. A good thing on some songs. ;)

Craig- I don't think chord solos are above your ability. Check out the chord solo series and try one of the practice songs.

Ken- thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you enjoyed it!

suziko

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 am

Hey Al,

It was nice to watch this as it's one of my favorite songs off Harvest Moon (edited from just saying "Harvest"- I shouldn't comment before I have a cup of coffee!!).

You asked whether you are finding a good balance between strumming and hitting the individual notes, and I'd say it's getting there. I think you've got all the individual pieces but it just needs a little more time to really click into place. Sometimes it seems a bit like you're getting bogged down in the melody notes and the strumming does lose its flow. Maybe that will work itself out as you play it more, and your hand loosens up a bit. Or maybe you could throw out a few of the notes. I seem to remember Neil saying that sometimes you can skip over individual notes while doing a chord solo, as long as the essential notes are there to still convey the melody.

As for keeping your hand in C and G: it seems like if you can reach the notes you need for the melody while still in that position, why not? That looks good to me.

In general, I think you've done a nice job on this song. Chord solos are really hard (in my opinion), but I like that you're tackling them (you did a great job on Here Comes the Sun, too) and really challenging yourself.

Anyway, nice job, Al! And it's good to see a new student review vid from you! It's been a long lonely, lonely time :)

Suzi

AcousticAl

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:55 am

suziko wrote:
Hey Al,

It was nice to watch this as it's one of my favorite songs off Harvest.

You asked whether you are finding a good balance between strumming and hitting the individual notes, and I'd say it's getting there. I think you've got all the individual pieces but it just needs a little more time to really click into place. Sometimes it seems a bit like you're getting bogged down in the melody notes and the strumming does lose its flow. Maybe that will work itself out as you play it more, and your hand loosens up a bit. Or maybe you could throw out a few of the notes. I seem to remember Neil saying that sometimes you can skip over individual notes while doing a chord solo, as long as the essential notes are there to still convey the melody.

As for keeping your hand in C and G: it seems like if you can reach the notes you need for the melody while still in that position, why not? That looks good to me.

In general, I think you've done a nice job on this song. Chord solos are really hard (in my opinion), but I like that you're tackling them (you did a great job on Here Comes the Sun, too) and really challenging yourself.

Anyway, nice job, Al! And it's good to see a new student review vid from you! It's been a long lonely, lonely time :)

Suzi

Suzi- Thanks so much for the detail. I had the suspicion that I was losing the rhythm and getting bogged down by hitting every melody note. I think you're right that if I loosen up a bit it will sound and flow better.
btw- I'll try to make sure it doesn't get as long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely (next) time.

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:41 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Pierre- as you know, the point of chord solo(ing?) is that I DON'T sing. A good thing on some songs. ;)
Liberal adaptation from famous speech:

Mr AcousticAl, if you seek Totally Guitar freedom, come here to this gate, open this gate.
Mr AcousticAl, you can sing with a guitar chord solo! (Please!)

Mr AcousticAl, tear down this wall !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic