Neil Young Unknown Legend- Chord Solo by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 am

Hi there,

It's been quite a while since I've uploaded a student review vid.. so here's Neil Young's 'Unknown Legend'.

Ever had one of those songs that haunt you? This one has haunted me for days now. It's simple chords, so I tried to figure out the chord solo for it. Here's where I'm at with it- warts & all.

Comments welcome (Neil included!! ;) )

willem

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 pm

hI Al,, I watched the original and i think you did a nice job on the bass runs and some melody(i heard, ''she rides a Harley Davidson''),,,always great to add a Neil Young song and i hope the man will give some advise..

Don't upload to much 'cos our brain is still with the collabs....lol

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Al:

I have messed with this song in the past. It is an easy song from a strumming/picking standpoint. Fun to play. It sounds like you have a good start on the chord solo. Your ear is much better than mine. I love the chord solo stuff, but have difficulty picking out the individual tones. Your fingerings and hand position look solid to me, so more than anything, I think time is the most important factor. Just keep spending time on it and you'll have it down. Thanks for sharing!

MJ

MarkM

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Al,

I know exactly what you mean about a song haunting you. I think you are well on your way. The bass portions are solid and true to form. I think you are on the right track with the higher notes. I'd be very interested in seeing Neil put up some TAB for this. Great song and your guitar was sounding sweet. Nice job!!!

MarkM

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks for your comments, guys. Here's a live version for those that don't know the tune. (and I think he's playing a Martin!)

I watched Neil's Chord Solo series and got a lot from it. But I wanted to know if I was on the right track here.

Two things I'm wondering--
Is the strumming/rhythm still there enough through the melody part that I'm picking out?

Also, I'm keeping the basic G and C shape for most of the song. Neil mentioned that you'll need to occasionally go to different shapes and configurations of the same chord to get the melody notes better. Don't know if I'm ok to stay with the chords I've got..

Willem- You sure I can't upload any more vids right now?
;)

willem

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Thanks for your comments, guys. Here's a live version for those that don't know the tune. (and I think he's playing a Martin!)

I watched Neil's Chord Solo series and got a lot from it. But I wanted to know if I was on the right track here.

Two things I'm wondering--
Is the strumming/rhythm still there enough through the melody part that I'm picking out?

Also, I'm keeping the basic G and C shape for most of the song. Neil mentioned that you'll need to occasionally go to different shapes and configurations of the same chord to get the melody notes better. Don't know if I'm ok to stay with the chords I've got..

When you look at the vid from NY you see he muted the A string(with finger on C---Gchord),,, i think(maybe) you can just strum the first melody notes(''she used to'') cos they are low and add melody on ''work in a diner'',,these are higher ( B-B-B-C),,the same on the following words ''never saw a (low notes) woman look finer''(A-B-B-C),,after that the melody stay's high, '' I used to order just to watch her float across the floor(D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-B-A-G-G),,on the lyricks ''cross the floor''there is the measer 2/4(the only place were that happens),,on the following lyrics you can do the same i think,,,well i looked to a sheet i have and maybe it helped a bit..

tvarga

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Hey Al, that was nice to listen to. I always look forward to your videos...

haoli25

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Good job, Al. Sounds great and looks like fun to play. I may have to give it a shot. Thanks for posting it.

Bill Image

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 pm

willem wrote:

When you look at the vid from NY you see he muted the A string(with finger on C---Gchord),,, i think(maybe) you can just strum the first melody notes(''she used to'') cos they are low and add melody on ''work in a diner'',,these are higher ( B-B-B-C),,the same on the following words ''never saw a (low notes) woman look finer''(A-B-B-C),,after that the melody stay's high, '' I used to order just to watch her float across the floor(D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-B-A-G-G),,on the lyricks ''cross the floor''there is the measer 2/4(the only place were that happens),,on the following lyrics you can do the same i think,,,well i looked to a sheet i have and maybe it helped a bit..

I tore a page out of Mr. Young's book with the muting-
Doubt you'd notice but I muted the high e string with my pinky for most of the song. I tried not to play/strum any notes higher than the melody.
(I listened in class Mr. Hogan)

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Bill & Tom,

Thanks for checking it out. Give it a whirl- it's one that stays with you.

I'm on a bit of a roll today- am about to load something to the busking channel!
(don't tell Willem)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic