America Sister Golden Hair by michelew

michelew

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks Mike. I'm glad you liked it. It's a fun song to play. Definitely take a look at it.

Ta

Michele

MarkM

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:12 am

Michele,

My apologies for getting to this now. I've just completed my move (well at least 75% of the boxes are unpacked). I didn't read through all of the comments but I'm sure you got a lot of good advice. Let me just say that your strumming is coming along with leaps and bounds. This is a pretty difficult song with all those barre chords and strumming patterns. you certainly don't go for the easy ones do you :laugh: :laugh: . I thought you did a really good job. The guitar's tone is sounding really good which shows that you are solid with your fingerings and you are hitting the strings with just the right amount of attack. Good job. I know this is something you have been working on and it is paying off. I can only imagine how difficult it is to sing this song with everything your brain is telling you to do with your hands. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work. Again, sorry for the delay in getting to this.

MarkM

michelew

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:51 am

Mark,

Thanks for watching. It's never too late to get such a nice response. You never need to apologise.

I figure if I can get this down then other barre chord songs will be a breeze. Well that was the theory. I still haven't got my ring finger bending properly to allow me to do A-shaped barre chords. Yes I'm trying (occasionally - I guess i should tackle that in earnest soon.)

Yep the singing was tricky. i kept getting distracted that's for sure.

Congrats on being mostly moved.

When will we see something from you again?

Thanks

Michele

MarkM

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 am

michelew wrote:
Mark,

Thanks for watching. It's never too late to get such a nice response. You never need to apologise.

I figure if I can get this down then other barre chord songs will be a breeze. Well that was the theory. I still haven't got my ring finger bending properly to allow me to do A-shaped barre chords. Yes I'm trying (occasionally - I guess i should tackle that in earnest soon.)

Yep the singing was tricky. i kept getting distracted that's for sure.

Congrats on being mostly moved.

When will we see something from you again?

Thanks

Michele
Hey Michele,

You'll get those "A" shaped barre chords. With those long fingers of yours you'll have it down in no time. I just changed my strings yesterday on one of my guitars (last set has been on since May and usually I change them every month) and now it is sounding a bit better. I'm a little rusty and need to find a song that inspires me to get going again. I'll check out the lessons today and see if I can find something. Just been doing alot of noodling at the moment.

MarkM

michelew

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Mark,

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will sound great as you always do and I really look forward to hearing it.

M.

mbleier

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:59 am

Michele,
It sounds like you have put a lot of work into the barre chords. I don't know if you have tried it, but I found the weight by the Band to be a good one to help with the A shapes because you go from an F shape which in many ways is the same shape just everything shifted up a string. It goes from an A barre chord to a C# barre chord so it only moves over one fret and down. It then goes to a D which I highly recommend trying to lay down one finger across the three strings not under the barre. I believe that is how Neil teaches it and I find that much easier for all the B shapes. The verses are a barre chord exercise while you get respite in the chorus with opens, well if you play it in A like the Band does. If you transpose to G then you'll just get more practice with barre chords. Again, great job on this and I really have fun playing the weight and highly recommend it.
Have Fun,

Mike

mbleier

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:12 am

I actually meant F to C#m so that it is the same shape. Then you already have your barre on the fourth fret and only have to shift up one fret with the barre to the fifth to switch to the D chord which is an A shape. Again, if you haven't already tried using one finger to make the A shape in the barre version, I highly recommend it. It was what made the real breakthrough for me into playing them smoothly. Good luck - Mike

michelew

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks for the sweet comments and the advice Mike. I'll take a look at that song.

Ta

Mcihele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic