America Sister Golden Hair by michelew

michelew

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Dermont,

I'd have to say ... Masochistic to be sure. Still what's life without a little pain and frustration. Right?

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks

sbutler

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Well done Michelle, Well done.

Sing that song and keeping up with the chords is a challenge. You did very well and you didn't worry about a little boo boo now and then. Handled them with a smile and kept going. Thats the good stuff .

Glad to see you again Michelle.

Scott

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:03 pm

michelew wrote:
[/b]MJ[/b] - thanks. I had quite a few cramps I can tell you. Still you don't get anywhere if you don't try and keep trying right? You crackle up with your 'young lady'. Have you SEENmy grey?? I'm probably older than you are. Zhou do know my little girlis 25 right? Haha. Thanks for your support

Michele
Grey hair means nothing I tell you!!!!!!!!!!! I used to have nice brown hair, then I got married and had kids...... :woohoo: Grey as can be now...... ;) I tell my wife it is her fault, because I never had a worry in the world til I got a family of my own..... B)

You are quite right, you have to keep trying. I am finding that some of the songs that used to give me major fits are really starting to come along these days. Patience along with the hard work is a big piece of the puzzle. TG is all about support. One of the best things about this site!

MJ

suziko

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Wow, Shel, congrats!! I've worked on SGH from time to time, never getting it anywhere near completion, so I know what a workout it is. The switch to the next barre on the upstroke was always too hard for me. Your version sounded really good. Nice, clean transitions, good (fast!) tempo, great strumming. And I LIKE how you sang it! It's a fast song with some tricky lyrics ("one poor correspondent, two too hard to find." Those are NOT easy lyrics to get out!).

Most of all, though, I'm just really happy to see a new video from you. It feels like an eternity since we last saw something from you, so it's a real pleasure to see your smiling face again. I'm also glad to hear you explain the mystery at the end of the video. That was some loud crack! I, too, thought maybe it was your pick winging across the room!

Suzi

AcousticAl

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Great run at this song, Michel. We tried it on our Bingampton gathering..
There's a reason we didn't upload it- we didn't make it to the end!! VERY tough song. And huge workout!!

Props for keeping going through to the end. Also nice to see you switch it up with strumming instead of fingerpicking.

Hopefully Neil reviews it for you (and us).

Lavallee

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Great bar chord work out Michele. I know it is obvious, but the good about thing about playing a lot of bar chords is that I one point you do not think about it and they are as easy as open chords. Once you get use to them, especially the A shape, you realize that you do not have to put so much pressure, just good finger positioning with light pressure does the job. I would suggest suggest to try not to bend your wrist too much, try keep your palm almost at the same level as your forearm and bend your fingers at the main knuckles instead. It has the benefit to put thumb in position behind the fret board at the right position where you maximize your pressure on the barre finger with the least effort, Pay attention to Neil' s left arm in SGH lesson. I found that since I change my approach I do not have any wrist pain what so ever after playing songs with barres for while .

Congratulation on your singing

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:10 am

Hi Michele,
What struck (ouch!) me in this video is how you plow on no matter what ... I think that means a lot concerning timing and general maturity in playing.
So I could possibly play along with you and hopefully make only different mistakes, and because all the beats would be there it would sound damn perfect :)

There's also the consideration of happy versus sad songs (sad songs popping up so very often) ... I think this is a happy song ... can a sad song end with doo wop a doo wop ?

Good to hear you play and sing this happy song so well !

Pierre

reiver

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:13 am

Hey Michele

Well, I guess it's all been said already. It was great to see you having fun with this.......but also really getting to grips with it. It's probably safe to say the barre chords will never be your favourites - and I'm sure that's true for the rest of us too - but there's really no short cut to getting on top of them and this seems to be the perfect song to grab the bull by the horns.

I'm now recovering from the shock of watching you sing a happy song and looking forward to the return of some more gloom and doom ;)

Stuart

michelew

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks everyone.

Scott - thanks. I'm trying to lighten up. So progress videos, some boo-boos and not trying to get the perfect take in on the cards; smiling and laughing too it I can help it. Hell I might even try talking in the future. Thanks for being sweet.

MJ - I couldn't agree with you more.

Suzi - thanks you're SO sweet. I'm happy to be posting again too. Life gets hectic and time evaporates sometimes; but you know all about that. A work out it is. But, I'm sure that this is well within your capability if you want to finish it. I do have a new callous on my barre finger. Very cool.

Al - thanks. I'm concentrating on strumming at the moment. I figure I'll get back to fingerpicking songs soon. But for now I'm diversifying. I can't imagine this being tough for you. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic