Doobie Brothers by Lavallee

skaladar

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi Marc,

Yup, I have to agree … sounds like you need another beat on that opening, what is it, an E power chord ? and perhaps a few other places. But adding that is easy.
You got the timing down pat for the harder parts where the accent is off the beat. The rest of the song falls into place very nicely …

BTW, “(strum - strum - chucka - chucka for want of a better description)” … I couldn’t think of a better way to describe it Stuart …

“China Grove” (glances Ness’s way) is a very percussive song and you handle than well. It also puts it on my “todo” list ... as if I don’t have enough there already :-)

Thanks for the look, and the inspiration!

♫ Ken ♫

tovo

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Hey Marc. The work that you have done on this really shows as it always does. The more you play a tune the better it gets. It we could practice all day life would be easy eh! Well I learned something myself from Stuart's comments about the "chucka" so that was good. Always love your videos, this one is no exception. Great work.

wammer

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:44 pm

MARC

YOU ROCK :woohoo:

Tammy

Hey lets go golfing B)

Craig

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Marc,
Great job on a rockin' tune. I really like the fact that you challenge yourself with these types of songs. Keep up the good work!
Craig

AcousticAl

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I really enjoyed that, Marc. Such a cool song.

I noticed a timing issue, and Stuart covered it.

I'll be giving this one a try soon thanks to your upload.

Lavallee

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Sorry for the late reply,

Thank you Stuart for your comments. I appreciate that you noticed the miss beat. Even though I practiced with the song which I was following quite well, when I get on my own since I have not taken the habit to count, I miss beats. It is not the first time. So need to address this problem. I like the chucka statement.

Hi Vanessa, nice to read you, I have seen you for a while. As it was pointed below, it is China Grove from the Doobie Brothers. besides the missed beats, I always seem to be not so good on picking accuracy which makes the song OK but never clean like Neil does (or like you for that matter)

Thanks for checking it out Michele, This is a great one for A shape bar chord

Hi Ken, thanks for your comments, The missed beats were more in the intro as you mentioned, I think I was getting confused by the 3 notes that connects the end to the beginning of the riff. Coming back from the Achord, the Ebarr chord has on beat, the 3 notes then the riff again, which I was miscounting the E bar chord (confusing enough?)

Tony, thank you for commenting, nothing beats playing, chucka or not, for a long time

Thanks Tammy, the clubs are ready, if I can find time.

Thank you Craig, definitely a fun song to play with many techniques to apply (just need to master them, now :laugh: ).

Thanks i Al,It is a cool song I hope you will take a shot at it.

RicksPick

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Marc

No advice from me
Just good to see you my freind glad your getting time to play
Cos you do play well

RicksPick

snipe

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Marc,

Nice to see someone working on this song especially on an accoustic guitar.
Great job all around.

Mike

How bout some listen to the music?

suziko

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Marc,

My apologies for not getting to this sooner! I watched it the other day but my busy life has kept me from commenting.

This is a song packed with so much action. I like that you're keeping the percussive and high-energy nature of the song. Once you add in that missed chucka, you'll have it down just right. Now you just need to find someone to tackle the vocals while you lay down the blistering guitar accompaniment! Might be hard to find volunteers- it's certainly not an easy one to sing!

It's always great to see a new song from you. You're always full of surprises.

Suzi

AcousticAl

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:39 pm

So I just watched the lesson- and I'm even more impressed, Marc!

I know it's subjective, Neil.
But a 5??!

Looks VERY tough.

Thanks again for posting this, Marc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic