Doobie Brothers by Lavallee

Lavallee

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Here is a song I thought would be easy after I saw Neil's play through.Not so easy to learn , for me, anyway. It took me many months to get there especially because of the chorus (Neil's arrangement) lead and special rhythm. Thre are a few pauses in there that had a lot of difficulty to grasp.great lesson from Neil. I also played a lot with the original song . I added some extra strumming sequence at the end which happens during the solo. I do not seem to improve anymore, so I would appreciate any help you guys can come up with.

Sorry no singing, cannot do Tom Johnston
Marc

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:40 pm

WHOOOA OOOh! CHINA- GROVE! Nice Dude!

Marc the rocker rocks again! Some of those doobies tunes have relentless full barres with wide stretches & such...
and such. I think it can be really tough to pull of the tone that is achieved in most of these songs. I thought you did
real good with that. And for me, I don't know about you but sometimes the hardest part of learning these songs is
remembering it all. And that becomes a test all in itself. Dunno if that is the case with this tune but it looks like it
would be.

Cori

BobR

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Marc,

I love that song and I think your time spent on it really shows. I enjoyed it very much. I can't offer any advice because I thought you did a fine job.

Nice smile at the end too :)

Thanks for the look

Bob

Lavallee

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks Cori, I agree with you, the muscle memory is toughest. When the chords are changing fairly fast , you cannot think about the next chord. It is also for that reason that it is so easy to forget a once you stop playing a song for a while since we refocus on other muscle memory patterns

Hi Bob, thanks for the comments, the smile was actually a cramp :laugh:

Marc

schm040

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:49 am

Marc,

Your right hand is moving very steady and it shows up in the solid rhythm you produced. Your picking is looking good as well and the string muting was great. I think this is the best work I have seen you do and thanks for posting.

MattMa

willem

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:01 am

Hi Marc,,i love the Doobie sound and you did great,,just repetition wiil improve more??? i tryed it when the lesson come out and my musclle could not do the memorie,,with other words i found it frustating but you inspire me but is save that to an other thread and maybe make the story a bit bigger,,hope i can...thanks

Lavallee

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks Matt for the good comments, I have played along with the original a lot to have the rhythm in my brain, but when there is no music with it I am never sure.

Thank you Willem, I am looking forward to see your take at it, it is certainly a good bar chord with the A shape exercise

Marc

reiver

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 am

Hi Marc

Nice to see another video from you - and another sterling effort at a great rock song. There does seem to be a bit of an issue with timing, though.......it feels like each bar is a beat short. When you watch Neil's lesson you can count it off in 4s, (strum - strum - chucka - chucka for want of a better description) and after 4 sets of 4 - back to the start. I think you have a missing chucka! If you hold that first chord for 4 down strokes (2 strummed and 2 muted) I think it'll all fall into place. As usual, you seem to have the left hand sorted really well.

Thanks for posting this - I'd forgotten there was a lesson up. I might have a look at it myself!

Stuart

reiver

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:43 am

Hi Marc,

Great to see another video of yours!

Shame on me, but may I ask wich song this is?

You said you were not improving anymore, what is it that you would like to improve?

Cheers

Ness

michelew

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 am

Marc,

I agree with Stuart that you're missing some 'chuka's. But, other than the timing, the rest feels solid and feels really cool. I love your rockin' stuff. Ad a-shape barre...my hero!

Once you lick the timing issue this will sound awesome.

Cool

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic