MarkM 4 + 20 guitar lesson review upload

MarkM

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks all and apologies for not getting back to this earlier. Been in Atlanta all this week. Heading back to NH tomorrow. We actually haven't moved yet. Although I am paying essentially two mortgages next month. We sold the house (after one showing if you can believe that) and are scheduled to move the week of the 18th. That is not going to be fun whatsoever. Anyway on to the comments.

Dennis - Thanks!!! I always really appreciate your kind words. I think you would do a great job on this song. I'm still jealous that you got a chance to play with Tony. Fantastic job with that!!

Gary - Thank you! A year ago I couldn't get the pattern to work and it just wasn't smooth. For some reason this time around it was a bit easier for me. Maybe I should go and check out more of those songs I was having issue with.....

Bill - Thank you Bill!!! I've got a sneaking suspicion that you would do fantastic with this song. Just say'n..

Damian - Thanks!!! Picking is slowly comming around.

Vanessa - Thanks!! I knew you were a fan of this song. Yea I may have missed a beat here or there. Not sure. It was a quick take as I had the lyric sheet on my knee to make sure I didn't forget the words.

Cori - Thank you sir!! I'm glad you liked it. I had just watched a video of Stills doing this song and he had so many embellishments that I couldn't dream of doing and keeping time. I just stuck in the tapping and hammerons cause it was all I could do. I'll keep working on it though.

Pete - Thanks!! Yup I'm loving the heat down here. Last week it was 51 in NH. Rediculous. 3 more weeks and I'll be down here for good. We'll have to get together. I'll be living in Cumming GA.

Ken - Thanks for the kind words!! This song was part of my stress relief. I was going to do "Brain Damage" but it has already been done so many times.....

Al - My Canadian New Englander friend. Thank you!! Haven't moved just yet but my life has been pretty sideways since I last saw you at. Come mid August things will start to get somewhat normal again. Now if I can talk my wife in to another guitar with some of the money from the sale of the house I'll be a happy man. Just don't think she'll go for it.

Willem - Thank you!! Ha.. You are correct. I'll have to figure out a way to get my guitars down there first. Not sure if I trust the movers. May have to use UPS and send them down early.

Bob - Thanks Bob. I'm soooooooo stressed right now. Can't wait for vacation next week. Fly fishing and some guitar playing where the cell phone or internet can't find me.....

Chris - Thanks Chris!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Haven't moved yet but soon.......

Tony - Thanks!! I'm so jealous that some of the others got a chance to meet and play with you. I really enjoyed those videos. I hope we here in the US are lucky to see you come back some day. You'll always have a place to crash and play guitar in Atlanta.....

Buddy - Thank you!! I'm happy that you liked it. Now I have to catch up and see some of the ones you had posted. Just haven't had any time lately.

Chas - Ha!!! You cracked me up with this one. I originally read this reply from you while I was waiting on the plane the other day and laughed out loud. The guy next to me must have though I was a bit nuts. Thanks for the kind words!!!

Marc - Thank you! That must have been too cool to play with Pierre and Tony. Looked like alot of fun.

Pierre - Another thank you to a Canadian New Englander!!! This song is tuned different than Dear Prudence but has a similar 6 - 4 bass sequence.

Jay - Thank you!! You may be correct that I switched a bit early. Not sure. I'll have to check it out when I get back home. Hope all is going well with you!!

MarkM

BigBear

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:44 pm

Mark- I've been offline a few days moving but wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. Absolutely great job on this song. I love playing this when I'm not too lazy to retune my guitar. lol! Since you're in the modal tuning anyway have you messed around with Suite Judy Blue Eyes? Another great song not too tough to play.

Your version was much more accurate than the way Stephen Stills played it!! Well done indeed! Excellent finger-picking! Congrats on your hard work! That performance is a keeper!

Cheers! :cheer:

michelew

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 am

Mark,

That sounded great. SO clean. I really enjoyed it.

It's great to see something from you again.

Michele

dekotaj

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:05 am

Hey Mark,

Great job!I was watching this when you first put it up,and the thread page is screwed up,only get have the page??Stills looks like that.But anyway love to see you post your music.BRAVO!!

Kevin

reiver

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi Mark.......do you ever read thro' all the comments on a thread and find yourself surprised that you hadn't written one? ANYWAY...............

Great job on this. A couple of people have pointed out a possible timing issue and I bow to their greater knowledge but it was great to see you back playing and taking on a fingerpicking song. Really enjoyed listening to this.

Stuart

Hydroman52

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Mark,

Good job on this one. You look very relaxed and are getting good tone out of the guitar. But I will have to agree with Vanessa and Jay. It appears like you are rushing from the D at the 10th/12th fret into the F chord at the 3rd fret. That's a very easy correction if you play along with the record or Neil's lesson. You're a little off on the singing in places. You start out really good, but, once in a while the pitch strays a bit. I have this problem, have taken others advice, and just set the guitar down and concentrate on the singing for a while. Try singing along with the record a number of times and you'll work it out quickly.

If I had this song at the point that you have it, I would work on those two things . . . the rest is done. I'm guessing that you could have it ironed out in a couple of hours or less. Once you get that done, take it to an open mic session in your new hometown and I'll guarantee that you will get a lot more than just polite applause. You have picked a good one here, because your voice and guitar really blend well and you have a good feel for the song.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic