Don McLean Vincent by nesh16041972

tvarga

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Dear TG-friends,

This will be the last video for a while now, since you’ve definitely seen enough of me. But I had to complete the Vincent-trilogy and sing the song as well (well Ken gave me a little push! ;) ). So this will of course be Don McLean’s Vincent.

This song is one of those songs (like’ If you could read my mind’) that I’ve heard many times on the radio through out my life. The beauty and intensity, as well as Don’s voice, has always appealed to me, but I never got to actually playing or singing the song. It even never occurred to me that it was about ‘our’ Vincent, until recently.

As for the playing, the hardest thing is to play this with the right intensity and emotion. Don McLean doesn’t keep one steady tempo. He starts out pretty fast, slows down, and gets back in the initial tempo again, slows down and so on. This happens in the entire song, so for that I didn’t think it was that easy to play. As for the singing, I had a hard time memorizing the words, so recording it was…….pfffffffff :blink: ……either I messed up the words, or I messed up the playing….so again, not so easy..

As for the ending….Neil: I’m sorry, I do know how to play it, but…..uh…my pinky missed the D and then...&%$#$%. :( ...however I did take all your advice as in playing kinda randomly, not moving the thumb when doing this slide at the end of verse 1 (actually never thought about that before), making sure notes keep ringing and so on.. :)

Anyway, like I said, this will be it for a while. Am working on a song, wich will definitely take me some time :S :P !

For now, I truly hope you'll enjoy this one...

Cheers

Ness

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tovo

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Just beautiful. The tune isn't bad either. Seriously TG doesn't get any better than that. Well maybe one day let's see. You are the bomb Ness.

skaladar

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Oh dear dear Vanessa, thank you so much for this. It is the perfect complement to your (Muriel’s) instrumental version. Your voice is just too fine of an instrument to not put to use on such a moving song. Are you sure you’re not part Angel? …

You speak of the difficulty you had playing this with the right intensity and emotion. If that’s the way you feel I certainly don’t see it. You made it yours, and from what we’ve all seen with everything you do, that can never be a bad thing.

Lastly, as for seeing enough of you. Surely you jest. I think I can safely say there is not one among us who has ever “seen enough of you”. The only good thing about that thought is the fact that it is because you are working on something that will take some time.
We will have to wait patiently knowing full well that whatever you are working on will be extra special … hehe .. no pressure there, eh?

Thanks again for giving this to us,

♫ Ken ♫

P.S. I intentionally left out any smiley faces and emoticons above because I was lucky and didn’t have to be as persistent as Cori had been with his Tracy Chapman request :-)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Vanessa, that is just pure joy.

Absolutely beautiful.

reiver

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Can't add much to what's been said, Vanessa - this was a fantastic performance, just as we've come to expect from you.

I hope you don't stay away too long.

Stuart

Yamaha48

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello my guitar girlfriend,Vanessa.

After my first workday,check my mail and look around here on the site.
My eyes see your name with a new upload.
What a great song Vanessa,good playing and singing.
I love it!!!!!!!!!.
Thanks for this great upload.

cheers...............Anton

michelew

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Nessa,

Really, really gorgeous. I'm trying not to shout because it feels disrespectful to that beautiful performance. It went straight to my heart and I'm still feeling extremely effected by it; just SO beautiful. You poured the perfect amount of heart and soul into that performance.

Well i just didn't recognize any flubs, if there was one in there (oh my God outrageous!!) then it was a lovely flub.

I second Ken's statement, I'd like to see more of you not less. You'd have to turn this into the 'Vanessa and a few friends now and then' show..... No on second thoughts I'd definitely still tune in to that program.

This is a morning of echoing other people. You are 'the bomb' as Tony said and as Suzi said you definitely are a gift to this community. I feel I learn from you everyday and one day I'd like to be just like you.

You really are an inspiration. And I'm proud and honoured to be able to call you my friend.

I loved it. Thank you.

Shel

lueders

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:34 pm

:) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh:

Vanessa, Vanessa, Vanessa, kicking" Arse and takin' names again...

You got the skills to pay the bills!!!

Beautiful, Magnificent,Mesmerizing ...... just as good as your Tracy Chapman post... (No, I can't believe I typed that either...)
I mean this in all sincerity and without any goofiness...this was absolutely spectacular!! So many intricacies to this song...and you make it look
Oh, So Easy yet again....You leave us spell-bound every-time.

On a scale of 1 to 10....how much pressure does your own past catalog of remarkable performances... place on you to replicate that each time out?
Does it haunt you? I would think it would....

TRACY"S BUBBLE SAYS:

NOW DONNY-BOY WILL KNOW WHAT IT I S TO HAVE A SONG STOLEN & THEN PERFECTED BY VANESSA B.
HE WILL BE RUINED!!! HE WILL REFUSE TO PERFORM IT FOR FEAR OF COMPARISON!!!
MOOOOOOOAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Don't stay away too long...Some of us had withdrawal symptoms last time you went away...

:) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :laugh: :) :) :laugh: :) :laugh: :) :) :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Bye bye and so long for now my friend....

NKenny

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Vanessa

That was beautiful, I have listened many times already. Put it on my favorites on Youtube, so I can listen many more. don't take a break keep the videoes coming.

Kenny

millponddave

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Vanessa,

Absolutely beautiful. I could never get tired of watching and listening to your postings. I am pretty sure that TG doesn't have a lot to teach you, but I'm sure glad that you found your way here because you certainly have a lot to teach all of us. Keep those videos coming. We all are inspired by your talent and skill.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic