Led Zeppelin Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by mbleier

mbleier

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:26 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

mbleier

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Hey everyone,
This is fairly rough. I couldn't seem to get my head into playing at least for the camera, but I am making a concerted effort to put up some videos now that I can. I wish this came out a little better, but you get the idea.
Thanks,
Mike

suziko

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:38 pm

Mike, I think you're making really nice progress on this song. This is such a great song for working on fingerpicking technique. One suggestion is just to make sure you get the bass note down before you put your fingers down for the rest of your chord. I noticed, in particular, that when you got to hit your F# in the bass (on the D/F#, I think it is- I'm not looking at the tab), you sometimes don't get it to ring out clearly because you're about a nanosecond too late in getting your thumb wrapped around. Maybe try to get the thumb on first, and then get the rest of the D chord down. Just an idea.

It's nice to see you post! I hope we'll see more of your stuff in the future.

Suzi

dennisg

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi Mike,

Great to watch this one as well! I particularly liked the part starting at 02.16, man you 'rock'! :cheer:

Suzi's advice is a good one and as for your strumming, how about using the invisible pick instead of your fingers?

Well done Mike, thanks!

Vanessa

dennisg

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Mike,

You're really giving this tough song a good ride. Same advice here as on Blackbird: slow everything down until you can hit it cleanly and in tempo, then tweak the speed back up.

Lavallee

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Mike the most difficult part of learning a song is to remember everything and that part is done. Now the it is only fun to practice on it. The fluidity of the first part will come with practice.

I would like to ask you if the open F chord (with the thumb wrapped) is a choice because it is difficult to have the F note on the fat E to ring when fingerpicking that open F chord (especially on a classical guitar). I see in the outro that you have no problem doing the regular F bar chord at the end and it sounds clean.

The invisible pick as Vanessa mentioned would help as using the tip if your right hand fingers causes the fingers to grip on the strings on the up strokes. If you listen to the original, you will notice that the strumming is quite fast, so the invisible pick would be quite an asset.

Also at 1:52 in the bridge your first chord with your 2 left fingers should on be the strings (instead of putting one finger at the time) before you hit the strings with your right hand. This would help in hitting the first 2 notes cleanly. I know it is not easy coming from the quick strumming before that. I think this is the toughest transition of the song.

I truly enjoy this song, one of the best to alternate between fingerpicking and strumming and you are coming along very well.

Looking forward to the update, great work

Marc

MarkM

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:42 am

Mike you are on a roll!!! I've been working on this song as well. You are well on your way. As Dennis and others have said, slow it down just a bit until you are more comfortable with it. The camera will play tricks with you for a while but then it's smooth sailing. :) :)

Also as Ness said try using the invisible pick method when strumming as it may help a bit.

As with the other songs please show us your progress on this one. I really like this song and would love to see how you keep going with this one.

MarkM

skaladar

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Mike,

Great job on this Mike! As Marc pointed out, the hard part is done. You know all the parts and for this song that is no walk in the park. Practice and aging will certainly make it flow more smoothly and sound cleaner. Again I agree that slowing down until then wouldn’t hurt. Also, since it’s been mentioned and it was the first thing that occurred to me when you came to the strumming part, I have to ask … are you familiar with the invisible pick technique? I just put myself in the place of someone who perhaps hasn’t seen Neil discuss it and my first question would be “What’s the deal with this “invisible pick” they’re all talking about? To oversimplify it, lightly pinch your index finger and thumb together so the nails touch. Then you can strum downs and ups with the top side of your nails rather than the fleshy part of your fingers. It should sound somewhat better. I can’t think of a lesson example off the top of my head but I’m sure someone can point you to one where this is demonstrated. Other than that I would really like to hear this again, it’s just a great tune and I know you’re going to nail it. Well, once you and the camera come to some sort of an agreement that is :-)

♫ Ken ♫

mbleier

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the feedback. I play the F with the thumb wrapped because the guitar teacher I had who taught me to finger pick taught me to play the F when picking that way. It comes more naturally at this point to hit the F that way. That being said it is a challenge especially on the classic guitar to make it sound clean. As far as the invisible pick thing. I have heard it referenced but have never watched Neil's description of how to do it. I am using the nails (what I have of them) when I strum with the outside of my fingers. Ken I tried to mimic what you explained and I don't know if my nails are too short or I am missing something. I'll keep trying to figure that one out. Again, I could play this one at this speed and I think after some time of just playing a bunch again I will be there again. As many of you know, it is hard to go back to slower when you know you can play (or could) it faster. I really really appreciate all of the feedback that you guys have been giving me and I am eager to pick the guitar up after I read each one.
Thanks,
Mike

mbleier

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Ohh, and marc, I know exactly what you are talking about, and the way I play the bridge always feels like I am cheating it because I only keep one finger down at a time so I don't have to do the stretch that the first chord of the bridge requires.
Thanks again,
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic