Paul McCartney Blackbird by dsmarion

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:26 pm

I can appreciate that Bob - keep at it. I decided I had to learn it and I am glad I did even though it was slow at first with the picking. I plan now to run through it a bunch of times a day for a while till it becomes second-nature. Now the next one I am beginning work on will be a much bigger challenge -- but I think will help me greatly because it again is an alternating bass thing - and also sounds very cool too. I need to drill that alternating concept into my , errrr, fingers! So I decided to work on Black Water next (try anyway). Putting Fire and Rain, Tears in Heaven on hold for a bit to work instead on the alternating bass thing.

Scott

michelew

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 am

Aaah Scott, very good job!

Timing is right, sounds right (just keep those notes ringing a tíny bit longer here and there), very solid playing.

No advice here, just keep playing it as you already are. It's one of those songs that becomes rusty :P when you don't play it here and there. At least that's what it is to me.

Great job Scott!

Ness

dsmarion

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:45 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Aaah Scott, very good job!

Timing is right, sounds right (just keep those notes ringing a tíny bit longer here and there), very solid playing.

No advice here, just keep playing it as you already are. It's one of those songs that becomes rusty :P when you don't play it here and there. At least that's what it is to me.

Great job Scott!

Ness
Thanks Ness, your too kind! I will continue to work to smooth out the rough spots - and I know about letting those notes ring, what a difference that makes in just about any song. Thanks for reminding me. :lol:

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:40 am

Nice job Scott!

snipe

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 am

Nicely done. The tempo feels right.

Mike

MarkM

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Scott,

This was a nice change of pace for you from the last few great performances you have done. As others have said, your tempo seems to be spot on. 100 times huh? I can believe it. A few more and you'll be doing this with your eyes closed. I really enjoyed this and agree with Dennis in that it is one of the best versions up here. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

dsmarion

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for listening guys (sorry about the low level - I will get that figured out next run )

I am really enjoying playing this song (I knew I would, I used to listen to friends that knew it long ago and liked it then). And I really liked the way Neil teaches it (ty Neil) in that he teaches it "standard" - I really hadn't noticed how different Paul plays it (with two fingers and a weird strum thing which allows him to not worry about being precise on any one note) until going through this lesson. I like the "preciseness" of the standard approach and I know it will make me be a better picker in the long run.

Hmmm, lots of versiosn huh? So if I decide to post one more and attempt to sing it - maybe put that in the busking area. I think if I ever decide to do an open stage (I might at some point if I have enough material gathered) this is definitely one I would want to do.

Scott

willem

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:04 pm

dsmarion wrote:
Thanks for listening guys (sorry about the low level - I will get that figured out next run )

I am really enjoying playing this song (I knew I would, I used to listen to friends that knew it long ago and liked it then). And I really liked the way Neil teaches it (ty Neil) in that he teaches it "standard" - I really hadn't noticed how different Paul plays it (with two fingers and a weird strum thing which allows him to not worry about being precise on any one note) until going through this lesson. I like the "preciseness" of the standard approach and I know it will make me be a better picker in the long run.

Hmmm, lots of versiosn huh? So if I decide to post one more and attempt to sing it - maybe put that in the busking area. I think if I ever decide to do an open stage (I might at some point if I have enough material gathered) this is definitely one I would want to do.

Scott

[bHi Scott,, can i encourage you to do a buskers version,,,i found it very difficult to do the singin and Neils pickin at the same time and we can learn a lot from it,,with my version i stay at home,,well maybe only under friends.[/b]

dsmarion

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:16 pm

willem wrote:
dsmarion wrote:

Scott

[bHi Scott,, can i encourage you to do a buskers version,,,i found it very difficult to do the singin and Neils pickin at the same time and we can learn a lot from it,,with my version i stay at home,,well maybe only under friends.[/b]
I will do this but I need to play through it a bunch more, then play through it even more and see if I can sing with it good enough, then figure out how best to record it with my limited equipment. But I will do it, thanks for the encouragement!

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic