Paul McCartney Blackbird by dsmarion

dsmarion

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:44 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

suziko

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Scott,

That was beautiful! I've been playing this song for about 2 months, and I think it's a great one for keeping your fingers nimble. I don't have any real advice for you. I find it incredibly hard to play this song through without occasionally missing a note.

Suzi

dtaylor

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Nice sounds! Timing was excellent and technique (hand position) looked spot-on, it made the changes look very efficient, Neil would be proud!

Dean

dennisg

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Yeeeeehaw! Way to go, Scott. Very smooth and pretty. Keep it up and you'll be able to sail through without any flubs.

We've had so many versions of this song on this site, we should consider having a thread devoted to Blackbird. Your version would be one of the best.

dsmarion

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Suzi - Thank you! This is one of the songs I definitely wanted to learn when I decided to start playing again. And your right, I make a flub on the way all the time somewhere. Mostly with the right hand but still always miss a chord somewhere.

Dean - Thanks, I am working on getting a better at proper technique.

Dennis - I can do every part of this but I am still struggling with the right hand. Not a surprise since I never learned. For some reason the Travis-style of alternating bass gives me fits to get my thumb to keep it going - it wants to just stop doing it lol. Most of my trouble with this song is just that. This actually is a good song to start learning fingerpicking technique because it is all using mostly ring finger and o nly a couple third fingers along the way.

Scott

willem

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:36 am

Very good Scott,,it soundend pretty,good tempo and if you play that out of your mind you can concentrate on the flubs or play it with the eyes closed,,

I see your found your video program AVS..If you like you can now put in two vids there and mke PIP's and play some lead with your self..

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 am

Hey Willem,

I had the urge to wait until I had this flawless - but you all say to post works in progress and this is. I make right-hand flubs every time so far but am getting better by the day. It will come. And yes I have AVS and Audacity (AVS I have not purchased license for yet) and I also have a little pcoket studio 4-track to record the audio portion but have not figured out how to use it best yet - levels really low on this one but I am playing with it. PIP stuff may happen eventually yes.

Funny you mention tempo because I know Neil says to slow down (and I have done that a lot) but when I do it lets my brain think too much sometimes and that doesn't help LOL.

Scott

Yamaha48

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:51 am

Hi Scott.

You have the right feel for the song.
Also the timing is oke.
Maby play it a litle slower,and than speed it up.
Hope you understand me.
Hand posision is oke and picking.
I think you handel it than better about the iltle blurbs.

cheers................Anton
I play it evry day,and i love it.

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:20 am

Hey Anton,

Yes I do slow it down too a lot. But I try to get up to speed too (hard so far because of my lack of right-hand skills yet - even this speed is slightly slower than the studio version but almost there). It's only been about two weeks of working on this (not exclusively, also working on other stuff like most of us here). Thanks for your comments!

Scott

willem

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:32 am

dsmarion wrote:
Hey Willem,

I had the urge to wait until I had this flawless - but you all say to post works in progress and this is. I make right-hand flubs every time so far but am getting better by the day. It will come. And yes I have AVS and Audacity (AVS I have not purchased license for yet) and I also have a little pcoket studio 4-track to record the audio portion but have not figured out how to use it best yet - levels really low on this one but I am playing with it. PIP stuff may happen eventually yes.

Funny you mention tempo because I know Neil says to slow down (and I have done that a lot) but when I do it lets my brain think too much sometimes and that doesn't help LOL.

Scott

Scott,, my opinion on your playing is that you almost know the pattern out memorie you made one mistake(starting again on the G chord) and a view not really behind the fret or maybe the pickinhand?? and thats why i find that you had a good tempo(you did'nt it to quick and its not nessasary to be quick on this song,,i am used to speed it up 'cos the lady's that are singin here had my friends club they don't want it slow,,maybe it is ease'r to sing for them).. i played along with you and had a good feel by your tempo that is'nt to quick,just fine in my opinion.

You are now a target member,,how much are distracked from one to an other song?? i don't think you are ''cos when you upload a vid it is very good or are the experience coming back on your hands

AVS and AUDACiTY are almost the only things you need,,the pocket studio is also handy i think,,the one i have i can record from my pc (just combine the recorder with the ear plugin from the computer)anything and make a mp3
and then the recorder has a mp3 trainer were i can slow down the speed and stay on pitch,,,not use it s much but i am on it..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic