Paul McCartney Blackbird by dsmarion

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:04 am

Hey Willem,
I appreciate your thoughts a lot. As to what distracts me - lots right now. When I work on a song I do so along with trying to do other things as well. In my case I am also trying to remember (and be able to play) stuff I already know but cannot fully remember or play any longer. Still working on Bouree (making progrss) and remembering lots of others (busking opportunities). Also I have always in the past learned stuff by what I call "trial by fire" in that I have learned a lot of the "what's" and "hows" of stuff (chord progressions, scales, etc) but never learned the "why's" of all that. So I am spending some time going through the acoustic genius series videos for theory understanding (wish I could find the more advanced blues stuff - not available yet??). I know most of the "what's" in there but very little of the "why's" (what note is what in a scale [4th, 5th, dominant 7th, etc]. This is making the journey fun this time around but takes time also!

For the recording, my pocket studio is a 4-track and can record the audio directly into it (and mix and stuff like that right in the unit) and can transfer to computer via USB. Getting used to how this thing works as I have only had it a couple of days now. I can even record ambient sound (it has two built-in omni-directional mics) and I went out last night and did a recording of a set of a friend's band and then came back and brought it into Audacity and exported MP3s of the songs for them to have. Just fun stuff experimenting with it. This is what I am using: http://tascam.com/product/dp-004/ but I need to experiment a lot with this little toy to learn how better to use it. Again, just fun stuff.

So you can see I have several distractions from simply working on a single song for two weeks. Not how it happens with me usually.

Scott

willem

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 am

dsmarion wrote:
Hey Willem,
I appreciate your thoughts a lot. As to what distracts me - lots right now. When I work on a song I do so along with trying to do other things as well. In my case I am also trying to remember (and be able to play) stuff I already know but cannot fully remember or play any longer. Still working on Bouree (making progrss) and remembering lots of others (busking opportunities). Also I have always in the past learned stuff by what I call "trial by fire" in that I have learned a lot of the "what's" and "hows" of stuff (chord progressions, scales, etc) but never learned the "why's" of all that. So I am spending some time going through the acoustic genius series videos for theory understanding (wish I could find the more advanced blues stuff - not available yet??). I know most of the "what's" in there but very little of the "why's" (what note is what in a scale [4th, 5th, dominant 7th, etc]. This is making the journey fun this time around but takes time also!

For the recording, my pocket studio is a 4-track and can record the audio directly into it (and mix and stuff like that right in the unit) and can transfer to computer via USB. Getting used to how this thing works as I have only had it a couple of days now. I can even record ambient sound (it has two built-in omni-directional mics) and I went out last night and did a recording of a set of a friend's band and then came back and brought it into Audacity and exported MP3s of the songs for them to have. Just fun stuff experimenting with it. This is what I am using: http://tascam.com/product/dp-004/ but I need to experiment a lot with this little toy to learn how better to use it. Again, just fun stuff.

So you can see I have several distractions from simply working on a single song for two weeks. Not how it happens with me usually.

Scott

bleus stuff: when you mean theory there is'nt yet more then you saw,, but there are some lessons (songs) by the early bleus performers in the ragtime style and such you no there names i think..

ps i find it alway's difficult to nail that bleus shuflle(swingtime),wel when it is fingerpickin.

skaladar

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 am

Hi Scott,

It looks like you’re making real progress with your finger picking skills. I know that’s an area you never focused on and wanted to learn, erm, properly. I’d say your well on your way. You already have great timing, left hand technique and a feel for a wide variety of music as is evident in your other uploads. It won’t be long at all before the right hand gets with the program and cooperates for you. I’m sure of that.

I can’t/won’t offer and constructive criticism. I feel sure you know where you’re headed. I do hope you get your recoding conditions tweaked to your liking. As you mentioned, the level on this was a little lower than you probably would have liked and I had some difficulties making out some of the melody. But this too shall pass :-)

Keep up the good work and by all means, keep-em coming. It’s great watching you play.

♫ Ken ♫

Lavallee

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:19 am

Hi Scott, nice work in progress. I think you will grab fingerpicking in no time as you understand tempo so well.

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 am

Very nice, Scott.
I like your slides up to the 12th fret & back down.

Lost the bass notes a few times- but it'll come.
How many times do you figure you've played that??
:)

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for all your comments!

Ken - I will be sure to play with my recording settings as I go - it will get better .

Marc - fingerpicking has come along so far but the fingers don't always wanna do what I want them too yet (act like tired children sometimes) - especially if I let my brain get in the way LOL

Al - WOW, how many times have I played something?? Hmmmm... well I have been working on this a little at a time for around 2+ weeks and I play it at least a couple times a day, sometimes many times a day. So I guess I would say, I dunno, around 100 times (maybe only half that where I was able to play most of the way through). Lost a few bass notes EVERY TIME LOL - first song I have tried using alternating bass notes and the thumb just wants to stop working along the way - again, especially if I think about it too much because I am always either thinking about the next part coming up, where I am in the song, etc. It is getting better quickly though now. Also everything wants to stop working when I decide to record the track LOL

Scott

tovo

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said, other than good job.

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Tony. I am not too worried, this one will be in the bag very soon - I am even close to being able to sing along (not a strength of mine). I see myself warming up with this most every day for a while.

Scott

RicksPick

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Scott way to go
smooth going
Inspiration

BobR

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Scott,

Al I can say is well done. A couple minor "oops" but over all real nice. I am trying this but have not gotten too far. I better go back and practice.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic