Dire Straits Romeo & Juliet by dtaylor

willem

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Dean,,glad you started this 'cos it reminded that this is in target,,,i bought a while ago a second steel string and want tune the old one in open G and i did'nt that but today i did and started this tune and bin through a view parts and understand your playing now on the intro,,you work a view day's on it and you go all ready nice through the transitions and land absolute great on that D chord, i did not try the Bm you talk a baut in the verse and strumming but i think you get that down,,well if you want to sing it you must strum it is'nt it,,so i' m going to be busy for while and will work on the intro from this song and some others to finish or fresh up..

dtaylor

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

That sounds good Willem, if you have any tips on the Bm (there must be a knack to it) them do let me know.

dennisg

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:32 pm

You're off to a flying start, Dean. I think this sounds terrific, and I didn't notice you tripping over the Bm.

lueders

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Dean, I have listened t this several times now. And, I think it is sounding great! And once you get that pesky B minor
change down the way you want it is gonna be as spectacular as MANY of your other posts have been!
(This is pretty darn tough tune too! I think it is,anyway.)

I like that you're not afraid to put up up things that are at about 80-90 %. I think we should do that more because that is when we benefit most from the forum...INMHO!

You seem to be someone who really pushes himself! An almost always comes away doing a helluva job!

cori

dtaylor

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Wow Cori, it's very kind of you to say that about my playing. I hope I can do the song justice with a LOT more practice, your comments are really encouraging though, thank you.

MarkM

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Dean,

This song had a great deal of meaning to me growing up. I'm sure we all had some of those moments when we were young. I immediately grinned from ear to ear when you started playing this. I couldn't find any fault at all. The tempo was great and just hearing it the one time it sounded like you didn't miss any notes. Really great start on this song. I look forward to seeing your progress with this one. Now I have to go check this lesson out. I totally forgot that Neil put this one up. Great job!!

MarkM

dtaylor

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Mark, I'm so pleased you like it.
It's a classic, I can hardly believe I have come to the point that I can play this, bless the day I found TG :)

reiver

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey Dean

I thought that this sounded really good - and couldn't help noticing your great hand position!

I know what you mean about the difficulty of singing it and trying not to sound like a Mark Knopfler tribute act but you play it really well and it would be unfortunate not to put a vocal to it. Congratulations.

Stuart

dtaylor

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks Stuart, the thing about it is, it only makes sense musically when you sing it so I've got to suck it up 'n give it a go!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic