Dire Straits Romeo & Juliet by dtaylor

dtaylor

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:03 pm

I've been working on this for a few days, having trouble with the Bm, can't seem to ever land on it cleanly, so I didn't try to upload the strumming... much work needed!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Dean,

Hey you have a really nice start to this. Is that an open-C tuning? Nice work so far, keep us posted!

Scott

dtaylor

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks Scott, it's open G and just a few chords to strum but I can't get my fingers to do a Bm! This is an all time favourite song so I'm determined to get there...

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:29 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Thanks Scott, it's open G and just a few chords to strum but I can't get my fingers to do a Bm! This is an all time favourite song so I'm determined to get there...
Keep at it and you will get there!

Fingers seem to be attached more to the subconcious I find. It's like if you try and play something you used to know and find a part you can't remember, if you just start over lots of times the fingers just magically begin to "remember" on their own (subconcious) when you're active brain could not.

Scott

tovo

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Well Dean it sounds like a damn fine start to me. I can't see the Bm giving you trouble for very long. Look forward to the next installment.

BobR

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Dean,

You've got a great start on this song. Since it's one of your favorites I am sure you'll get it soon. Keep at it.

Bob

suziko

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Dean,

That sounds great! I worked on this a little bit when Neil first put up the lesson, but I remember getting frustrated with one of the chords (maybe the Bm you mentioned??) and putting it aside. Watching your video makes me want to have a go at it again. This is such a beautiful song and I love the guitar part in it. I think your version sounds great already. You should be pleased! Are you a singer? Would you try putting vocals to it in the future?

Suzi

dtaylor

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:29 pm

Suzi, I've been practicing singing it, it's not easy to come up with a way of approaching it that's not a cod Knopfler rip-off, but it's been easier to practice the guitar part while singing for some reason.
I'll try to post a version if I can get over my fingering troubles...

willem

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:51 am

Hi Dean,

I see what you mean about the Bm, however it still sounds pretty good, so I'll bet your next update on this will be awesome, no less! Uh no pressure....eh?! :P

And indeed, would love to hear you sing as well! Again no pressure! ;)

Ness

Edit: and wíth your face would be great as well! Gosh....pressuring again :dry: ...really, don't mean to bug you Dean!

dtaylor

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:55 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hi Dean,

I see what you mean about the Bm, however it still sounds pretty good, so I'll bet your next update on this will be awesome, no less! Uh no pressure....eh?! :P

And indeed, would love to hear you sing as well! Again no pressure! ;)

Ness

Edit: and wíth your face would be great as well! Gosh....pressuring again :dry: ...really, don't mean to bug you Dean!
Sure Ness, no pressure! I'll do my best.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic