The Hollies Long cool woman with a black dress by Lavallee

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:46 am

Marc!

This has to be one of my faves of yours as well! Your guitar has never sounded better- or cooler!!

Félicitations, mon ami!!

Lavallee

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks Bob, I always loved that classic song. Looking forward to your next video, it has been a while since the last one.

Thank you Tony for that marvelous compliment. Regarding the microphone, I just got an M-Audio Fast Track interface . So I will be able to connect the microphone and the guitar directly and still play against a backtrack for the next video. I just got the interface Saturday but the software that comes with it needed a bit more time to integrate in my pea brain. So I did it as before (external amplifier and screaming for the song). I will also get a new camera, this zoom Q3 does not have the resolution and gives too much of a grainy image. I have have been nibbling on the song for a year but never did anything good with the intro. I started to work more seriously on alternate picking 6 month ago. In the lesson Neil shows the picking direction and I finally understood. So I have been practicing the song seriously about a month ago but there was a lot of practice before

Thank you Scott, I see what you mean by playing with a real drummer which the tempo might vary a bit. Definitely develops adjusting on the fly. I hope that I will have a chance to experience that. It sure worked great for you as you have an excellent tempo when you play.

Thanks Rick, I thought the hair would have made a greater difference :laugh: Yes the intro was the greatest challenge for me, but when you pick in the right direction it is easier

Thank you Craig, singing the first time is like posting a video for the first time: once it is done you will wonder why you waited so long. I do not sing well but I think I have somewhat improved since the first video.

Hi Willem, thanks for the comments, I hope you did not disturbed your neighbors with all that noise you made :laugh:

Thanks Michele, the tentative howlings were pitiful. This is why I laugh at the second one because it was so bad. I had rehearsed those by lowering the last word and go up as he does in the song, but during the video I had a blank. But prefer to play and sing as it is easier to stay in the song.

Hi Suzi, thanks for the comments. At every video I did I got the comment about timing. I did not see another way of improving (still lot of work to do) than using a back track. I do not have a thing with the metronome. This is an excellent song to practice alternate picking .

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Chris, thanks for the nice comments. Funny memories about dancing on this song as when it came out I remember the girls used to mimic flying birds on the song. Nobody would dare to do that today :laugh: I added a count down in the backing track which you can hear at the beginning the rest was trying to keep the tempo so that when the drum/base would start again I would be at the right place. Fill in the blanks and starting at the right time was a good exercise.

Thanks Al I agree that the backing track makes the guitar sound richer. I think the next videos will use backing tracks from now on. It is more fun and you cannot cheat on speed.

Marc

snipe

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:29 am

Marc,

That was really cool. YOu looked like you were enjoying yourself

Mike

skaladar

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:29 am

Hi Marc,

That was just super. Your playing is right on the money and looks technically perfect. It makes a good reference for how this song should be played. Your hard work on this certainly shows. I also loved the singing and the addition of the backing track. I can see how the backtrack could be a big help with timing without the monotony of a metronome (for me or anyone else, that is). It’s funny that you mention how the singing helps also because I’ve found that to be so true for pieces like this that have some repetitive sections. There are two sides of the coin for me in that regard. With some songs I find it much easier to keep my place, so to speak, if I start singing when I’m first learning how to play it. For other songs it’s essential that I can play it easily and without much thought before I’d even attempt to add vocals. I guess it has a lot to do with the complexity and structure of the song. Anyway, I really enjoyed your performance, as I always do and look forward to you rockin us again.

♫ Ken ♫

MarkM

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Marc I've got a HUGE smile on my face as I type this!!!! I just loved this performance by you. Real solid guitar playing with the drum track. That is a great idea and I'm just starting to do something similar so I hope it helps me play as tight as you did here. This is a great song and you did it justice. Nicely done Marc!! I have the FastTrac Pro so I can help you with this if you have any quesitons just go ahead and fire your questions away. I don't use the software that came with it as it is a bit cumbersome so I downloaded REAPER for free and that does the trick very welll. Thanks for sharing!!

MarkM

dennisg

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Marc,

I loved this video! Very, very strong playing ... almost totally in sync with the backing track. That's a really action-packed song to play, and you pulled it off beautifully. And extra kudos to you for singing this ridiculously difficult song.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Listened to it 5 times Marc now... just brilliant!

lueders

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Marc, that was great, buddy! I thought you did great with the drums in there...did you create the loop? That sounded great, Dude! Much better than my glorified maraca-metronome! LOL!

Your tone was EXCELLENT! Timing was spot-on! And kudos for singing man! I thought did great all the way around.
I am always so impressed with the songs you tackle. You get extra points in my book just for tackling such a wide range of tricky songs, man! This was one of the first songs I remember trying to play back in high school. I think mainly it was that intro riff over and over and over. But I didn't play it as good as you did!! You've inspired me, SIR!

Yamaha48

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Hello my friend.

Good to see this video,and sounds realy rockin.
The good old day's,by the Hollies.
I can remember me a lot of songs from him.
The day that Gurly billy shot down sam macee.
But i like also this song,and you sing the song.
Good guitar playing my friend.
Thanks for sharing.

cheers...............Anton

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic