mark Sleight of hand guitar lesson review upload

Lavallee

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 am

Hi Mark, really enjoyed the precision of your playing. A great motivation to start working on it .

Marc

mark

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks every one for your comments. They are much appreciated.

There have been a few comments regarding the slow tempo, so i thought i would share my approach to these songs.

Because I knew upfront that this was going to be a difficult and challenging song i decided to try and learn it very slowly and precisely.
In the past I have tried to learn things quickly and have practiced them too quickly and made lots of mistakes on them.

So I've tried to learn each section very slowly using a metronome. I set the metronome where i can play the section with little or no (this never happens) mistakes.
In this case the metronomes purpose is to keep me slow. If I played it without the metronome I would definately speed up and start forgetting the notes or making mistakes.
The speed of the metronome at this time would probably be less than 50% of the real speed, but it gives me time to think and remember what I am trying to play.
I then increase the tempo slowly as i get more used to it.

My only aim is to be able to play the section at about 50% speed without too many mistakes and from memory before moving on to the next part.

This has worked pretty well for me. The problem I have now is to be able to get it up to the real tempo without it getting messy

sbutler

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:36 am

I hear ya man. Since the first part came out, I've been playing it and could, if I wanted, play it at about 80% speed. But then I hit the rest of the song and its like driving off into a foot of mud in the road. Its a mess. So I've made myself practice this one along with Neils slow play version. Maybe someday in the next few years, I'll get it to 75%.

Scott

rapsidy

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:24 am

thanks Mark :)

smips65

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:38 am

That was very well done Mark. An inspiration for the rest of us.

jayswett

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 am

That was awesome. The Master will be proud. Nicely done.

dekotaj

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:19 am

BRAVO!!!!

Hey Mark-Don't no how I missed this one?But glad it got brought back up.Fantastic!!!

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic