The Beatles Something by dtaylor

dtaylor

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:28 pm

This is one of those songs that was physically impossible when I first heard it. Couldn't hold down a barre chord and the stretches seemed a long way off being do-able. I hope it'll mature with a little time to smooth out the rough edges and one day I hope to sing it...

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi Dean.... looks like you were put on the rack there... difficult chord combos but you were getting to grips with those stretches really well.
Well done!

willem

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:10 pm

HI Dean,,you are busy lately,,i spend also many free hours on the guitar,,for the song,,well i think when you stay on it and it ages you will relax your guitar fingers and smooth it all out very well and hope you going to sing it,,i find you did very well.. nice song!!!

Yamaha48

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Dean you doing fine my friend.
Yeh barre chords are not simple ones,also the big stretch.
It needs time,when the time is there you can sing it.
But this is a very good start,and sounds pretty.
Thanks for sharring this nice video.

Cheers.............Anton

millponddave

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Dean,
Looks like it is coming along nicely. Those are some serious stretches!

Dave

dsmarion

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey Dean,

Love this tune. I don't know where it stands now but there was a time when this song was the most covered song in the world. And with good reason, it has everything: a great melody, good lyrics, a really great middle-8 bridge, a very catchy lead run, etc. What else could you want in a song? I know you still have some rough edges on this - and even some timing issues - but it is such a nice song to be working on. Keep it up!

Scott

abiliog

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:33 am

Dean,
Great work already on such a difficult song. Your left hand does a magnificent job.
The difficult part is already under your control :), now you just have to do the perfectionist work. :)
Thanks for inspiring me to try this one in the future, it's a beautiful song,
Abilio

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:08 am

Another one we both play!

Great job here, Dean. I'm going to examine this more closely as well for some tips.

I think you and I are at about the same level in our playing.

Lavallee

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:47 am

Nice work again Dean, if it was impossible before , it sure ain' t a problem anymore. Your left hand is very agile.

Marc

dtaylor

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Chris, it's definitely out of my comfort zone, but the tempo is reasonable so I'll slow it down slightly and try to even things out.
Willem, I'll keep revisiting it and try to make slight improvements, it feels like another year before I'll play a B comfortably though.
Cheers for the encouragement Anton, Dave, Scott, when it's played well it's one that can make the guitar really sing, it's so expressive with the subtle chord changes.
Abilio, I hope you have an easier time of it than I did, it was tough going, good luck!
Al, it's another one that deserves a decent recording set up to get the most out of it... that's your cue!
Cheers Marc, iit's nice to get to grips with a song that seemed insanely difficult at first.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic