George Harrisson While my guitar gently weeps by 8calm8

willem

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Well I'm supping a very nice white wine now!

Cheers again! :P

8calm8 wrote:
Thanks for your kindness Vanessa

Cheers to you from the UK ( I`m supping a very nice red wine now)

G

8calm8

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks Ken

Yes it was fun to play. I have been practicing the Am pentatonic blues scale in 5 positions for 2 months now. backwards and forwards and if you move the patterns up or down the fretboard you can do any key as long as it`s minor pentatonic blues scale.I also know the major scale in 2 different patterns but apart from the root note I cannot quickly think of what the name of the note I am on is,you`ll have to give me a couple of seconds. Thats because I did not CALL OUT THE NAMES OF THE NOTES IN THE SCALE THAT I AM PLAYING like my teacher used to try to instil in me when I was young.

The minor pentatonic scale is a useful tool to learn if you like rock,blues and can lend it`s self to country, jazz and funk. I just improvised the scale starting on the root note of the key that I was in at a middle ish octave to give me room to move down an octave as well as up.I get lost sometimes when I try to move out of the scale pattern in an attempt for something more interesting,get lost, and use the scale pattern as a path to resolve on the root note of the key and you can just about get away with it in a blues genre. Also on an electric guitar that has narrower gauge strings if i hit a note that doesn`t sound right you can bend it to a more palatable pitch for the blues and just about get away with it cause its blues.On acoustic it`s much harder to bend such thick strings and you need Neils techniques in sliding up or down the fretboard to reach your desired pitch that sounds OK to you in a blues context. I definitely recommend practicing on acoustic guitar it strengthens the fingers, builds the calluses up and lets you hear when you need to be clean with notes. There is no place to hide on acoustic.

Another trick is to freak out with hammer ons and pull offs from whatever scale and freak your audience out, OMG whats he doing! fall on to the pentatonic minor scale pattern in your key and resolve at the tonic on the beat of the measure everybody feels safe again.

Happy practicing

G

8calm8

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:27 pm

:silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic