Exstreme more then words by willem,,,well more trying to get that rhythm

abiliog

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks for explaining Willem! B)

But no worries, I'm not asking for me, I'm asking because I want to know what you're doing. In your second video you're doing much better, but there is still a timing-thingie in there.

You're analyzing the first measure, but the tap isn't a quarternote, not in any case, only in measure 54 there is one (although a tap never lasts that long, but you get the point).

So the first measure is: bass/brush/tap/pluck/brush/tap/pluck.

When Neil moves his hand up he occasionally touches the body with his nails, he does that when going up after the pluck, G/B, wich indeed lasts a quarternote, and the pluck at the end of the measure (Cadd9).

So I think what you mean is this: bass1 / brushand / tap2 /pluckand / nails3 / brushand / tap4 / pluckand / nails1.

Not sure if it's so 'handig' to look at it that way, but if it works for you, then by all means, but really the tap is only an 8th note, the pluck is a quarternote.

And now I need coffee! :S

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Well Willem, I have to say that I wanted to come back to this song for ages now. I mean can play it, but just never finished it completely, so you definitely inspired me to check out the lesson and refine some stuff.

So these days it's: More than words! ;) And it's much fun, gosh I was 18/19 years old at the time, always loved that song!

Buttuh....what do you mean by 'it's a tap on the strings and a light tap on the body?' You mean at the same time? Because then I get what you mean! :P
?

GEE,,you ask me Vanessa, B) , i am glad i inspired you !! No I don't mean with the taps to do that on the same time,,i try to clear up, can do this in Dutch for a easy way but i don't.

When Neil ever told never stop your strumming hand that was for me a very break through and try that alway's(this works like a metronome is'nt it ? ) now i try that to do in ''More thAn words'' and it has more to do with were the note in the measer must sound a quarter,,lets look at the first measer,, bas-brush-tap(this tap is a quarter note and when you tap it on the strings that is a eight note right? then after the tap i saw Neil gives a light tap on the guitarbody the other eight note and that makes it a quarter) i think he does the same on the count 4 and ! (were it is syncopated to the next measer)..hope it make since,,let me know 'cos i love you are on this song and looking very forward to a video from you... i wil edit this post with the video time were he is doing that(the slow vid and the conclusing vid) :P :laugh: B)

Edit: in the slow it down vid you see it on 33 sec(well almost,,but there was a sort of movement to be in time and on 33 sec there it is very clear..in the conclusing vid you see it on 17 sec

of course i know when you count while playing or use metronome you proberly be in time( 1 and two and 3 and 4 and) but it is the same has adding the singin it is to much thinkin and doing so i search the time also in the movements of the strumming/brushing/tapping/faking hand :lol: B)

BTW, I get also your '' because then I get what you mean'' when you do the tap on the strings sometimes your pinky hits the wood(guitarbody) too by accident, that aint bad but sounding like a snare drum is nicer..

willem

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:31 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Thanks for explaining Willem! B)

But no worries, I'm not asking for me, I'm asking because I want to know what you're doing. In your second video you're doing much better, but there is still a timing-thingie in there.

You're analyzing the first measure, but the tap isn't a quarternote, not in any case, only in measure 54 there is one (although a tap never lasts that long, but you get the point).

So the first measure is: bass/brush/tap/pluck/brush/tap/pluck.

When Neil moves his hand up he occasionally touches the body with his nails, he does that when going up after the pluck, G/B, wich indeed lasts a quarternote, and the pluck at the end of the measure (Cadd9).

So I think what you mean is this: bass1 / brushand / tap2 /pluckand / nails3 / brushand / tap4 / pluckand / nails1.

Not sure if it's so 'handig' to look at it that way, but if it works for you, then by all means, but really the tap is only an 8th note, the pluck is a quarternote.

And now I need coffee! :S

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Well Willem, I have to say that I wanted to come back to this song for ages now. I mean can play it, but just never finished it completely, so you definitely inspired me to check out the lesson and refine some stuff.

So these days it's: More than words! ;) And it's much fun, gosh I was 18/19 years old at the time, always loved that song!

Buttuh....what do you mean by 'it's a tap on the strings and a light tap on the body?' You mean at the same time? Because then I get what you mean! :P
?

GEE,,you ask me Vanessa, B) , i am glad i inspired you !! No I don't mean with the taps to do that on the same time,,i try to clear up, can do this in Dutch for a easy way but i don't.

When Neil ever told never stop your strumming hand that was for me a very break through and try that alway's(this works like a metronome is'nt it ? ) now i try that to do in ''More thAn words'' and it has more to do with were the note in the measer must sound a quarter,,lets look at the first measer,, bas-brush-tap(this tap is a quarter note and when you tap it on the strings that is a eight note right? then after the tap i saw Neil gives a light tap on the guitarbody the other eight note and that makes it a quarter) i think he does the same on the count 4 and ! (were it is syncopated to the next measer)..hope it make since,,let me know 'cos i love you are on this song and looking very forward to a video from you... i wil edit this post with the video time were he is doing that(the slow vid and the conclusing vid) :P :laugh: B)

Edit: in the slow it down vid you see it on 33 sec(well almost,,but there was a sort of movement to be in time and on 33 sec there it is very clear..in the conclusing vid you see it on 17 sec

of course i know when you count while playing or use metronome you proberly be in time( 1 and two and 3 and 4 and) but it is the same has adding the singin it is to much thinkin and doing so i search the time also in the movements of the strumming/brushing/tapping/faking hand :lol: B)

BTW, I get also your '' because then I get what you mean'' when you do the tap on the strings sometimes your pinky hits the wood(guitarbody) too by accident, that aint bad but sounding like a snare drum is nicer..

Oh Yes i saw it right but i told wrong of course i mean that pluck = a quarter sorry,,but did you look to Neil video(that lightly tap on the body after that pluck...

edit: i changed my post a bit(stupid mistake i made)

waggis

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:44 am

Pffffffffffffff...... :S :S

Yes, I know what you mean by that, he does that occasionally with his nails, I don't think he is particularly aware of that, it just happens on the way up. He does that very often with lots of songs. So maybe he is aware of it, because he always shows the rhythm with his right hand quite clearly....

Oh well.....another coffee please!

willem wrote:

Oh Yes i saw it right but i told wrong of course i mean that pluck = a quarter sorry,,but did you look to Neil video(that lightly tap on the body after that pluck...

edit: i changed my post a bit(stupid mistake i made)

rapsidy

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:15 am

Great effort willem i really wanted to learn this song but gave up on it as it was too hard for me, so well done on where you at with it keep persisting and youll get there with the vocals as well :) thanks Brad

willem

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:36 am

rapsidy wrote:
Great effort willem i really wanted to learn this song but gave up on it as it was too hard for me, so well done on where you at with it keep persisting and youll get there with the vocals as well :) thanks Brad

Hi Brad,,thank you,,it is all by keeping persisting is'nt it,,well i like this kind of rhythm it is a nice skill,,,but i think when you type a baut the vocal thing you were laughing right??? well i was 'cos i think i never will sing this..so much fraseings on the words and then bass/brush/tap/pluck/brush/pluck,,,well a lot of things that your brain must get the hang of....i think you!!! can do it give it a new try..

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic