Supertramp Give a Little Bit by AcousticAl

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Great to see you back posting Al!
Nice job as always. I felt you were getting more and more into it as it progressed too.
I'm not sure but I was wondering if that signature strum at the beginning is missing a beat or something? Sounds different when I try that... which by no means you are off!! ;-). I felt that you played the other chords up the neck and those changes precisely though.
I can't imagine my comment helps much but it has been a long working weekend!
Chris

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Kevin- Thanks for checking it out and commenting. The strumming is a bit of a *^&%!! But with patience, it comes.

Jim- Give it a try- it's fun (after the frustration of learning it, that is!)

Chris- I'll check out the beginning again. I'd like to hear your take on it as well..

cosmicmechanic

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Al, you have given me an idea for a cool designer neck brace for whiplash patients !

I have trouble concentrating when I hear a convincing performance of a Supertramp tune ... young adult angst all over again.

Judging by how distracted I was hearing this, it was very, very good.

Pierre

Lavallee

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi Al, it sounds very good, I agree with the busy strumming in certain parts. When you play with the original, I think the strumming phrase ends with the emphasis on 2 quarter notes even though the hand keeps the quick movement hitting lightly Like when going from the a7 to the D, on the D, the last measure should sound like 2 quarter notes with a light strum in between.

Good work on it

Marc

MarkM

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:46 am

Al this is comming along very nicely. Particularly the 2nd half. Nice work on moving up and down the fretboard. I agree with the others on the beginning. I don't think you are holding the rest notes long enough. See if you can find the original studio version on Youtube or the begining of Neil's lesson and play along with that for awhile. If I remember correctly I had to get that timing down in my head by watching/listening to the original and playing along for quite some time. Once you get that locked in then it's off to the races. Again I though the ending of the song was really strong as you were right on time there. Funny as that is the more difficult portion of the song. Great to see you again. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

skaladar

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 am

It’s nice to see you’ve been keeping yourself busy with the uploads Al. Each one is an inspiration to me.
I really like your taste in music based on your song choices. Great job with this one. I’d love to see it when you’re ready to add the vocals.

♫ Ken ♫

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Pierre- I'll take that as a compliment! Hope your neck feels better soon!

Marc- Thanks for the specific info to check out. I haven't looked at Neil's lesson in quite a while, so I'm sure I missed things in this version.

Mark- Yes- I think I am more confident later in the song. I'll be revisiting the beginning for sure though.

Ken- Guitar has been a welcome retreat for me the past little while. We've got relatives staying with us from out of town, so when I get a few minutes to myself- I play guitar!! :) :)

sbutler

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Good Job Al. You really looked like you were working on that one. I love that song,and I'm not sure where I got this link, maybe from the original lesson, but the youtube vid of Roger doing this on his own, with a 12 string is a lot more laid back. As fast as your version is, this one would be a walk in the park for ya.

rapsidy

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:04 am

:) thanks AL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic