Supertramp Give a Little Bit by AcousticAl

michelew

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 pm

That was great Al. The energy was especially good.

Gosh there are so many things that I've started learning and need to finish. Thanks for the reminder and more inspiration.

Nice one.

Michele

tovo

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:17 pm

No tips Al I'm sorry, but kudos for a good job in my opinion. Great choice of tune as well.

snipe

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 am

Al,
Nice job on a deceptively tough tune.. The strumming is the key, I think, keep at it and it will align.
Mike

abiliog

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 am

Al,
Good job already, just a minor polishing work to be done on the strumming and that's it, you can start to sing it.
Thanks for sharing, :)
Abilio

dennisg

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:04 am

Al,

This is the song I expected you to play when you had the 12-string on loan. But better late than never.

I agree with Dean that your right hand seems overly busy on the verses, and that some air would benefit the song. Other than that, just beautiful.

jayswett

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 am

I must say that I have been watching your videos for two and a half years now, and you really have become one of the most complete guitar players I have seen. Strumming, fingerpicking, and singing. It's all there. Not yet in Nesh territiory, but you are certainly on your way. Well done.

dsmarion

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:24 am

Hey Al,
I though the video was acting up in the beginning - until I realized you were using Neil's technique of strumming every strum including misses (false strums) . That is something when I heard him talk about it I thought was pretty good advice even though I never have done it. I can just hear the timing in my head and dive in when the part is there (lot of that comes from playing with a great drummer I think because before that my timing wasn't great). Maybe have to try that technique on something that needs it like this song. This is a great song by the way - and yes it looks deceptively harder than it sounds as others have noted. Some nice little chord pieces along the way especially up the neck. Singing is next - that will be tough too lol. Nice work on this one.

Scott

dekotaj

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 am

BRAVO!!!AL

Did a great job on this song.Looks as if the strumming is a real b%#@* on this one(with the missing strums.)

Thanks for the look.
Kevin

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:42 am

Bob- Yes, this was one of the hundred or so songs that we messed around with that weekend. guess I've been working on it for a while now..

Dean- I do tend to over-strum. If my hand is moving- I want it to hit strings! I like your idea of less strumming during the chorus. Will give it a shot.

Buddy- Glad you liked the BLING around my neck!

Ness- Thanks for checking it out. This is a tough one to sing and strum at the same time. Might give it a go one day..

Dave- It has been a while. I'm currently entertaining relatives (mother-in-law!) from out of town. Don't have much time to myself right now.

Cori- Good point. I probably need to watch Neil's lesson again and work on accented strumming. Thanks for pointing it out.

Stuart- Thanks. And you aren't far off about getting 2 mins to myself. Although they're going to Toronto for high-tea today (whatever the frig that is!), so I might be able to record a new video!

Criag, my fellow CBFU member- Thanks!

Michele- Glad to inspire someone to do something.. other than drink.

Tony- Many thanks. I'm trying to get my strumming and fingerpicking close to the same level.

Mike- Remember way back when, you posted your (great) version of this? Thanks for the inspiration with your upload. Made me want to improve mine, for sure!

Abilio- Yes, polishing will come eventually. And maybe the singing. Although I'd probably collapse at the end of it! This song takes a lot of energy to get through.

Dennis- Overly-busy is a good way to put it. Letting songs breathe is something I definitely need to work on. Thanks for your comment.

Jay- has it been that long?! Thank you for the compliment. And yes, Nesh-Territory is definitely something to shoot for!

Scott- Keeping my hand moving is great for my timing. And yes, Neil mentions it in a lot of lessons. Give it a try and let us know how it goes..

jimcjimc

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:50 am

Al, Not a song I have ever tried to play. You did a fine job on it! Thanks for posting.
Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic