Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven by dsmarion

millponddave

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:19 pm

That looks like a tough song to play, let alone sing. Nice job.

Dave

Lavallee

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Scott, you did an excellent job of signing this difficult song. I also like that you kept going in the playing which , by the way, sounds very well balanced between the bass notes and the melody. I also like your explanation of what you tried to improve . It is good when someone post a video, but if a new aspect of playing was discovered and implement (new chord fingering , as you did, but also new strumming, more percussive effect, strum/pick fluidity, or anything you had to learn) for that song, I think it has a greater value for the person posting . The people watching can learn from this new implement aspect by paying attention to it
Marc

Catman

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:36 am

Nice job!

I know how difficult this song is, and doubly so with the singing. You played and sang better than your self critique led me to expect.

-David

RicksPick

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:35 am

Way to go Scott

This now back on my list lol
you have inspired me
So sweet a sound

RicksPick

skaladar

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Scott … sorry I’m late getting here but I’m gald I made it. I wouldn’t have wanted to miss this.

I think you did a wonderful job on this tough song. I get the impression you have a very well developed sense of timing. With the exception of one spot you seemed to keep a perfect beat throughout the song even in places where you may have been a little less clean that you probably would have liked. IMO that makes this, and any piece, far more musical than hitting every note cleanly at the cost of an even tempo.

I like whatever you’ve done to your sound setup. I’m hearing you a lot better than I recall from previous videos and of course I love the fact that you are singing. You have a good voice so there’s no reason not to put that instrument to use provided you can keep some mental distance between the vocal chords and the fingertips :-)

Great playing, great singing, great performance! … keep it up :-)

♫ Ken ♫

mbleier

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:13 pm

I have to just keep on keeping on with the group and congratulate you on a solid performance on what looks and sounds like a tricky song. Your voice sounded great with this tune as well. I am also impressed you were able to fight the urge to change techniques, I have struggled with that on some songs and I think I am paying the price for my stubbornness. Thanks again for sharing.

Mike

dsmarion

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 am

Pierre - I mentioned when I joined Target that I had been playing a lot of stuff wrong for years. It is hard for me to decide I need to try to relearn stuff. There are many songs in Target that fit that description for me. This one though I didn't start to learn until I bought the Martin which was only a couple of weeks before I found this site. So changing wasn't a huge deal - even though I was getting real used to using a different technique (and one I could feel good about because I can sit here and watch Eric do it so it must be fine right - well yes but he is Eric and he has huge hands, I do not). Anyway making the change didn't make me lose all that much. Now some others that won't be the case - songs I may have been playing around with for years will be harder because I am stubborn too (and a bit lazy). Thanks for your comments!

Dave - There are only really three things you may find tough if you decide to learn this one. First getting the A bar with the trademark hammer-on and pull-off is a must to get very clean and you need to do it a lot of times throughout the song. I didn't find that real hard because I have been doing lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs for years but I am sure others will find that hard. The second hard thing is the barre chords - I play bar chords fairly well but I have trouble getting a single bar to sound clean (just barring all the strings, no other fingers used). The third hard thing (and the hardest to get used to) is the E/G# because it's a different chord and you need to use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers which takes a while to get used to -- and you have to be able to put it on fast altogether (no cheating) lots of times and on different frets. The hardest part about singing it (once you get comfortable playing) is the turn-around leading back into the beginning riff, I found that very hard to get the timing at first. Other that that it is a really easy song! :laugh: :laugh:

Marc - Thanks for your comments. I try and explain stuff about what I post (probably too much so) but I am glad it helps others to do so. That is part of what makes this small community a great place.

David - Thanks, I am very critcial of myself, perhaps overly so. Thanks for reminding me of that, I appreciate it. But that is true about a lot of stuff I do, not just guitar.

Rick - It is nice to inspire someone to want to play something you do. Looking forward to hearing your progress!

Ken - My few years playing bass in a small club band years ago is where I learned to keep time through mistakes - you have to, it's a live show. And you are going to make mistakes live (a lot, some only you notice, others are blatent errors, those are the worst to play through). You learn to keep time (or at least get back in it quickly). Playing with others helps a lot, especially a good drummer which I was lucky to have had the chance to do. My timing before that was not what it is now. Thanks for your nice comments!

Oh about the sound, yes I bought a nice little inexpensive digital 4-track and have been playing with that. I can plug the guitar straight in with no amp and it sounds very clean. It also has two mics for ambient sound which is what I used for recording the vocals. But I really need a separate mic to have more control because the ambient mic also picks up the guitar and any other ambient sounds and then you cannot separate it. Still working to get a cheap set-up going here. Really need a better camera too because my laptop webcam is too few frames per second and you cannot really see clearly what the hands are doing.

Mike - We sound like we are both lifetime members of the stubborness club :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: It is hard to change something after you get used to doing it one certain way (even if it is totally wrong :S ). Thanks for the comments!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic