buddy Drive - Live guitar lesson review upload

buddy

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Howdy all,

I really need some very honest feedback on this song. I have posted up this song a couple times as it has progressed and I got some great tips and feedback on it. I would really like to play this live this month but I am really uncertain. This is a really tough song for me to play and sing at the same time because of the beat and the also the vocals are really tough for me. Should I give up on this tune ? Or am I psyching myself out ?

Let em know what you think,

Bud

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

millponddave

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Buddy,

Yeah, I think you'r just psyching yourself out. It sounded pretty damn good to me. I'd run with it.

Dave

dsmarion

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Buddy,

Well, I certainly wouldn't give up on it if I were you. It is within your range vocally, the extreme upper part may be a slight reach for you but you can do it (or perhaps change it a little, artistic license), overall it sounds pretty good to me right now. And you don't seem to be struggling too much with the beat really either, perhaps you feel you are but it doesn't show. The only thing I think you may need more work on is getting those four main chords in the verses (some form of E,D,C,A) cleaner - they come out a little rushed and slightly muffled sometimes and don't always ring clear - especially the D. But maybe that is what you mean by having a hard time with the beat there with singing along. Maybe slow it down just a hair. Still it sounds pretty good to me and your vocals are really strong. I would put it on the play list.

Scott

wrench

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Buddy, I think I do see some stress in you as you perform this song. The motion of your right arm is a little more choppy than your other videos. In watching some very good performers live in recent months, I am convinced that in a singing/playing performance, less is more. What I mean by that is better singers are better served by quieter, simpler guitar accompaniment. A commanding voice like yours will easily dominate a guitar performance. I haven't worked on this song, but the beat doesn't sound metronome-friendly. As a suggestion, consider only a simple rhythm strum while singing the more powerful passages of the song, and resume the melody notes at the boundaries of the passages when the singing softens. As a player, you may feel like you aren't doing enough, but listening to the playback may surprise you. By the way, I thought this video sounded fine, but I thought you strummed with too much arm and not enough wrist. You didn't look entirely comfortable to me, but the amount of work you put into it is obvious. If you decide to change nothing, I would still play it live.

Catman

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:19 am

Buddy, thanks for sharing this with us!

Feedback, guitarwise I kinda second Scott, vocally I would definitely take it down a whole step, maybe a half step, but no I think a whole step would be even better. At least try it, I think it would be much more pleasant to listen to.

That's my 2 cents, keep up the good work Bud!

Ness

buddy

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks to all of you for the comments and the input on this tune. Your feedback will really help me move it along.

Bud

dennisg

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:42 pm

I think your performance is far better than you think it is. The playing is solid and the singing is excellent, I don't care that you have to reach up high to grab a couple of notes -- that's just part of singing. You hit them. No problem.

The only thing I can say that's different about this video than some of your others is that you look stressed out and a little stiff. If you're going to perform this song live, you might prepare for it by relating to the camera bit more, as if it's your audience. That should loosen you up some.

jayswett

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:14 pm

You have come a long way with this song. No question. The issue that I noticed immediately was the same mentioned above, which is the clarity of those first several chords. Is it ready for a live performance? I would say No only because having seen many of your videos, I know for a fact that you can play this song better than what you just demonstrated in that video.

buddy

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Dennis, thanks much for the encouragement in your post and the great suggestions as well.

Bud

buddy

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Jay, thanks for the motivation my friend. I will keep working away at this one.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic