tovo learning Under the Milky Way guitar lesson

tovo

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey Brad nice to see you about. Thanks mate.

dennisg

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Really nice job, Tony. Nice steady strumming and clean fretting. You can be proud of this one.

From an audio standpoint, I could probably do with a bit less reverb. Also, it sounds like your recording setup is on the verge of feeding back because I keep hearing a pre-feedback ring.

tovo

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks Den. Yeah...probably went overboard on the reverb. I'll wind it back next time. Thanks for commenting.

BigBear

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Tony- Good Aussie song!! And well played too. Your singing sounded really natural despite the high reverb level.

But I know you don't just want platitudes. I watched this video three times because something was bugging me about it. At first I thought you were getting to the first beat of the measure late. But the more I watched I think that it may because you are using a heavy upstroke after the first beat which in some cases is overwhelming the initial downstroke. For some reason you don't do this in the chorus, only in the verse.

I know the Church uses a fairly percussive strumming attack but I think you have to be careful that the power gets picked up on the downstroke and not later in the measure.

One way to see if I'm right or not would be to play the song with only heavy emphasis on the first beat of the measure and then just use light brush strokes the rest of the measure. I'll bet you notice a difference.

But, of course, I could be full of koala guano and you are just a fantastic player and singer!! That's probably closer to the truth anyway!

Good going mate!

:cheer:

tovo

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Rick I absolutely accept your comments and value your strong and genuine desire to help. Ill certainly check out your suggestions and let you know how I go, perhaps by PM. I just want to improve. Thanks mate.

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:37 pm

As you know i've MIA for a few weeks so missed this when you first put it out there. Way too cool man! Loved the touch of reverb in the vocals added that' meditative' feel Pierre mentions. Improving?? Leaps and bounds mate.

PS I know I've been away and missed a lot of late but tell me have you moved your shaving mirror out of arms reach lol!

tovo

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey Chas. I thought you had gone into hiding until NZ blow the World Cup again! Hope the move is done and work is sorted. Thanks for the supportive comments mate and good to see you back.

Hydroman52

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Tony,

Nice job! The vocals are really sounding good. Like others have said, you should include this in your open mic performance. Every time you post, you look more and more relaxed at it. Good going!

Hydroman52

tovo

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey thanks Hydro! Much appreciated mate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic