tovo learning Under the Milky Way guitar lesson

tovo

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Hey Pierre,

I was going to dedicate the very cosmic tune to you! ;) I guess I just did.

Anyway, very generous comments on my singing. I don't think I'm in Steve Kilby's ballpark (yes he's the frontman) but it's very nice of you to say.

You summed up my thoughts on the tempo very well. I do tend to favour the slower tempo, although not as slow as the excellent version Bob posted. I'm not locked into it by any means, I could certainly experiment with quicker versions. "Rousing" people isn't always a bad thing eh! Thanks Pierre for your thoughtful comments.

jayswett

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 pm

This should definitely be on your set list for your open mic night gig. It was great.

tovo

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Cheers Jay, I appreciate it. I very much enjoyed your last video also.

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Tony:

I have always liked that song and have worked on it off and on since the lesson was put up. You did a very nice job. It did seem a bit slower like you mentioned, but with your signing added in and the solid strumming, it sounded like it was supposed to be that way. Did you use some sort of effects on the vocals? They sounded pretty sweet. I would agree with Jay that this is a must on any set list you might have for an open mic night..... B)

MJ

P.S. at the mention of the man cave, I was very jealous.... ;) I sure could use a quiet place to go play once in a while...

tovo

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey MJ nice to hear from you.

Yeah I prefer the slower version. I've been a fan of this band and this song for many years so I've had chance to see a few different takes on it.

The vocals had some reverb on them. I invested in some decent sound gear and it's been a good improvement in sound quality. I know it is easy to get really carried away with effects and try not to, but I think some reverb suits this particular tune.

The man-cave is littered with empty potato chip packets, empty beer and rum cans, is untidy and smells awful. It's perfect. ;)

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 pm

tovo wrote:
Hey MJ nice to hear from you.

Yeah I prefer the slower version. I've been a fan of this band and this song for many years so I've had chance to see a few different takes on it.

The vocals had some reverb on them. I invested in some decent sound gear and it's been a good improvement in sound quality. I know it is easy to get really carried away with effects and try not to, but I think some reverb suits this particular tune.

The man-cave is littered with empty potato chip packets, empty beer and rum cans, is untidy and smells awful. It's perfect. ;)
Starfish was a very good album. Another band I like in that same style was Modern English. Their song "I'll Melt With You" is similar and always takes me back as well.....

Whats the run-down on the recording equipment? I am always interested to learn what folks are using. Especially when I like the results... ;)

The man cave just got a whole lot more enviable...... It does sound perfect..... :laugh:

MJ

dekotaj

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Darn Tony-Where in the world did that come from!WOW!!Just fantastic playing and singing!Don't no the band,but will be checking them out.And as far as the tempo of that song.I watched them both,and like them both.So when it comes to tempo what ever you feel like at the time.Some days it could be slow and some days might be a bet faster?
BRAVO!!TONY BRAVO!!!

Kevin

P.S.-Hey Tony before I go,When the song first started the guitar was over the vocals,and shortly after that you got the vocals over the guitar and it was fantastic.I have a bad habit of looking down for the next chord change.And if I was going to mic myself singing(LOL)I might try having the mic pointing right at my left check,Then all I have to do is just glance over to see the change and not lose sound on the mic when I turn my head.

Bravo again Tony!!(BY FAR YOUR BEST TO DATE)

THANK YOU
Kevin

tovo

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:06 am

Hey Kevin. First, thanks for the comments and compliments mate.

Actually your comment on looking at my hand are spot on and you are not the first to comment on it. (Daryl kindly sent a PM as he can't post in this particular thread) saying I should work on not looking at the left hand. It's just a bad habit, I'm confident that I don't NEED to do it. As you have pointed out, it has a negative impact on the vocals as I turn my head away from the microphone.

Well...always stuff to work on eh! All good.

abiliog

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:14 am

Tony,
Great playing and singing, you are very comfortable with this tune.
I like very much the feeling your voice adds to this tune and with this particular tempo (I agree with Pierre, meditative is the word). Really love it.
This performance it's on your very top list, no doubt about it.
Abilio

tovo

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:33 am

Abilio,

I really appreciate your kind remarks, thank you. I have known the tune for years, but just learned to play it. I liked it as an exercise in strumming, with lots of upstrokes. It's certainly not a difficult tune in that it's only a handful of chords, but a nice song. Glad you like it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic