tovo learning Under the Milky Way guitar lesson

dsmarion

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:09 am

Hey Tony,
Nice work. I don't know this tune at all but I did like it! I also watched Neil's playthough to get a feel for it. You are doing really well with the playing and singing. I will agree with the comments about looking away from the mic and losing the vocal sound. You might try using an omni-directional mic instead of a uni-directional one which will minimize this a bit - or just get out of he habit of looking at the left hand as you said. I do that a lot too lol.

On the strumming, I did notice in Neil's lesson that he uses a really varied strumming pattern throughout the song. Some measures are 1-2-3-and-4-and, some are 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and, one or two are even 1-and-2-and-[miss]-and-4-and. And also in the end of his playthrough he has a part where he aims at bass notes - not sure where all this goes is the flow of the whole song but is something to try adding. Of course all that does make singing A LOT harder to do lol. Keep up the good work, nice to see you posting!

Scott

Craig

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:45 am

Nice work Tony! If it's the strumming techniques your are working on speciffically, then I think you are right on. I thought you nailed this one. Your vocals are well suited for this tune. Each video you post is getting more and more professional in every aspect. I really enjoyed this one.

Craig

tovo

Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey Scott. The idea of an omnidirectional mic is a good one although as you mention I can take away the need for that by getting out of the habit of looking away to check out my left hand. Probably a cheaper solution! I definitely want to continue to work on varying the strumming, certainly not there yet.

Craig, thanks for those supportive comments mate I really appreciate that and glad you liked that tune. I am working on better strumming as I do find it more challenging overall than picking. I guess I'm a bit unusual in that regard. I think the general feeling people have is that strumming is easy and picking really difficult, but I think there is more to being a really good strummer than meets the eye. I need to keep working.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Very nice Tony. That sounds like a complete open mike song already. Really good job on the steady strum and vocals!

That was a big hit over here for quite some time after it was released.

tovo

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Chris. Thanks mate. Not a real difficult tune at all, but I have really loved it for well...years, so glad to have learned it. It was their only real big international hit but they are a cool band. They are one of those bands who have prided themselves on remaining true to themselves...whatever that may mean.

reiver

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey Tony

Not a song I'm familiar with but sounds like you nailed it. Nice steady guitar work and the song seems to sit snugly in your comfort zone for singing, Nice job.

Stuart

tovo

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Hey Stuart. Thanks very much. It's a nice tune and I was thrilled when it became a Target lesson a few months ago.

suziko

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Hey Tony,

I've loved this song ever since I first heard it, about 10 years back, on the Donnie Darko soundtrack. I loved its dreamy and moody tone.

I think you've done a nice job with this song. I think, as others have said, that you've got just the right voice for it. I would prefer to hear you do it with the vocals unadulterated, though. Are you using some sort of echo effect on them? I also agree with Scott that it'd be nice to see the strumming varied more. I don't remember exactly how the strum to this song goes, but I remember it being more like d dud du ud dudu Not that you have to copy it exactly, but it has a fairly distinct sound to it, especially in the intro.

Suzi

tovo

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks Suzi. I understand your point regarding reverb, I thought about it as I know one can get a bit carried away with affects when new toys are about. Certainly I would need to do it "clean" if I sang it anywhere else. I felt it seemed right for this tune, but appreciate your opinion on it.

Strumming is my major weakness no doubt. I don't ever think too much about patterns in terms of downs and ups etc. I feel the important part of this tune for strumming is the ups on the 2nd and 4th chords (which change from the 1st to the other verses). Better strumming is something I'm trying hard to address.

Thanks for the comments.

rapsidy

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 am

Yes very smooth Tony great tune and you really did it justice well done... now you have gone and got all high tech on me :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic