buddy learning to play Let It Be acoustic guitar

buddy

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

This is an interpretation of Let it Be by the Beatles. I tried to combine techniques from Neil's lesson and at the same time give this more of a Folk and finger picking slant on the guitar. I used the capo to change the key for singing as well. Let me know what you think ?

Bud

Lavallee

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Really enjoyed that one Buddy, good tempo and the capo seems like at a good key for you

Very nice

Marc

jimcjimc

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey Buddy,
Really enjoyed that! Thanks for posting.
Jim

tovo

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Bud, I think it takes a fair amount of courage to take what is surely one of the World's most iconic tunes and interpret it. I thought yours was appropriately done and I really enjoyed it. I saw you wince a couple of times over the words, but I admired that you are a good enough player to improvise and not miss a beat. I liked the picking, and of course you have such a strong voice. I think it's a winning combination.

dsmarion

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Hey Buddy,
Such a brave soul you are to take on such a long song with tons of verses - not to mention the iconic-ness of it. Very nice. The guitar sounds very clean as usual - I love your recording setup. And you have such a strong voice. You may want to raise the capo up another step or two even.

Also another suggestion to try (and this usually is something that is very hard for singers who have done it for a long time to change) is that for this song you may want to try using less vibrato in the vocals. I konw one thing I really like about Paul's voice (and Beatles' harmonies in general) is that he uses almost zero vibrato most of the time -- it is just flat and clean. John was the same way. That is one aspect that makes them harmonize so good together.

Years ago my dad explained to me why this is (he sang barbershop harmonies in a quartet and chorus). When they harmonize in barbershop they try to get the four-part harmony chords so perfect that they actually "ring" which means when hit perfectly you can actually hear other additional harmonics ring out with the chord in addition to the actual four parts they are singing. The chord resonates. Anyway he told me that when harmonizing like that trying to get a perfect "ring" any vibrato will make that next to impossible to achieve. So I always noticed that great harmonies in other styles of music are the same way. Beatles' harmonies sound so good - with almost no vibrato. This is a very hard habit to break for most singers once they learn to use vibrato. Anyway it's something to try and experiment with if you so desire. I wish I had your strong voice.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:21 am

That was really good Bud, I think it worked well.
I don't agree with Scott on the capo but think the tip on removing the vibrato is worth trying. I hardly ever use vibrato.... mainly because I didn't really learn it ;-). But it just seems right on Beatles songs to sing it "flat" as Scott mentions.

willem

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:21 am

Buddy,,nice job on one of my favos,,what i think and i heard it many times in other songs from you that is the vibrato on the long notes,,if you can make vibrato it is just fine but it must be less(only when needed),,i think that you not aware of it you just learn it by yourself that way and it is very difficult to get that gone,,in jazz music it is very common,,how get it gone?? well i think just practise long vocal notes straight and with enough breath support at that point,,this can improve your singin and you sing allready very good...we had a singer in our choir that had a very beautiful and great voice the only thing she had was on every long and last word of a line she brought it with vibrato and in the workshops we get there was a saying that it must be less or only when needed...i enjoyed your ''let it be'' very much and maybe its gonna a be a change on your vibrato,, i also liked that you finger picked the song..

willem

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:39 am

Very nice work Buddy!

Well.....vibrato, key......hmmm...maybe.....

However, I just enjoyed it, thanks for sharing Bud!

Ness

jimlard

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:01 am

I really enjoyed that, thank you for sharing.
I find it hard to post replies about peoples videos as I am a very early stage beginner and don't really know a lot about guitar playing except how difficult it is. The day I can finger pick as well as you I will be a very happy man, how you can do that and sing at the same time is beyond me.
Let it be is one of my favourite Beatles songs and I think you did a great job, really liked it.

Cheers
Jim

tombo1230

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 am

Very smooth Buddy, nice picking and singing together. You made it your own! B)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic