tovo Just Breathe guitar lesson review upload

dekotaj

Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:28 am

BRAVO,TONY!!!!

Love the picking and the tempo of that song.Had my foot just a tapping!Good on you brother.

Kevin

willem

Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Tony,Cheers man,,that was really nice and a good job,it is great to have some travis pickin in our skills and i discovered it is nice way to sing along too,,

I really enjoyed it and i also liked that your reverb on the mic was gone and the sound was more natural that way..

tovo

Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:56 am

Hey Shel. Definitely it's easy to get into several tunes and get none finished. Also agree that there are a lot of distractions, work and the like. That loto win would do the trick eh! Despite all of that, I'm feeling good. Thanks for your support as always.

Kevin, you are truly "Mr positive" mate. Always a kind word. Thanks a lot.

Willem, I agree mate I really enjoy the Travis picking. I was conscious of not using any effects, reverb and the like on this tune because I was much more focused on the playing than the performance. I guess as I said on the last recent video, it's easy to get carried away with effects and stuff and for a genuine review it's probably better to leave all of that stuff out. Thanks for commenting my Dutch friend.

willem

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:08 am

tovo wrote:
Willem, I agree mate I really enjoy the Travis picking. I was conscious of not using any effects, reverb and the like on this tune because I was much more focused on the playing than the performance. I guess as I said on the last recent video, it's easy to get carried away with effects and stuff and for a genuine review it's probably better to leave all of that stuff out. Thanks for commenting my Dutch friend.[/quote]

Also thanks for remember me on this tune and the lesson 'cos of you i followed it and will stay on it,,after i watched the lesson i went back to your upload and want to say that you did a GREAT JOB,,

neverfoundthetime

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:19 am

Really nice job again Tony! I know there are hours of practice there but the really outstanding part of this video is that that part isn't in our faces... it all looks easy and natural including the singing... very laid back. Pretty near perfect.

tovo

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:30 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Really nice job again Tony! I know there are hours of practice there but the really outstanding part of this video is that that part isn't in our faces... it all looks easy and natural including the singing... very laid back. Pretty near perfect.
I don't know about near perfect Chris, but there is definitely wisdom in the "laid back" comment. There is such a thing as trying too hard for sure. Thanks friend.

jayswett

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:41 am

Well done, Tony. Just need some work on the transition to the G chord, but otherwisee, very nice indeed.

dsmarion

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:34 am

Hey Tony,

I liked that a lot! Nice work! Hard for me to give much constructive criticism since I am not familiar with the song, but it fits you well. I do miss the hat!

Scott

dtaylor

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:02 am

Hi Tony,
congratulations on another job well done, I can appreciate the hours you've obviously put into this one, a great achievement. I've listened through a few times and I'm guessing that like me you think the effect of the live performance is somewhat diluted when it gets to youtube. I never feel that the live sound comes across, so what comments I have may be a function of that, but here goes. You play up to the speed of the original (no mean feat), I wonder if by dialling it back very slightly the bass and melody would each come through more distinctly. What you said about changing attack might help the clarity of the bass notes although this may be just the recording (only you can judge). Last thing, it'd be good to work on just the transition from measure 12 into the bridge in isolation. It made a big difference to the overall effect once I got that down, it provides that emotional punch it needs.
Hope the comments are helpful. Keep up the good work.
Dean

tovo

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks Jay, yeah that transition still needs work for sure. Thanks for taking the time.

Scott the hat will make a return mate but bald is not a dirty word! :) Thanks for commenting.

Dean, you are right the bridge is the toughest part of the song and my first transition in for this video was a bit sloppy for sure. Again you are right about playing it slightly slower, that sure does help, but the challenge I set myself with this one was to play it up to speed. You are also right about the emotion of the tune, that is lacking right now as I still haven't reached the point where I can let go and just focus on the performance. I will continue working, your comments are spot on and useful. Thanks mate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic