tovo Just Breathe guitar lesson review upload

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Mate the useful comments have been taken I just reiterate the back it off slightly to work on those transitions and it will be nailed, I don't think you have a lot to do really with this one its almost complete. I don't know it that well but certainly enjoy listening to your rendition.

tovo

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Cheers Chas I'll keep working. Thanks again for commenting.

millponddave

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Tony,

Very nice job of playing and singing. I don't know this song but I enjoyed your rendition very much. I think that often we are our own worse critics. It looks to me like you are pretty comfortable with this song.

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Tony, you sure can be proud of this ... loved the vocals, you braved some higher notes there.
The fingerpicking brought to mind that I remember you last June saying that you don't play "Dust in the Wind".
If it's of any interest, I think you would make quick progress on it using the same technique you worked on so hard for "Just Breathe".

Great video !
Pierre

buddy

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Si I just back from hunting in the high country and what do I find ? I find Tony rocking a new song. This is a tough tune and it is obvious you have put a lot of effort into it. Congrats Tony !

Craig

Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:04 am

Tony,
Nice job on a song that is difficult to pick and sing. Your last few posts have been really good. All of the time you have put in has really paid off. Thanks for letting us take a look.
Craig

tovo

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:14 am

Dave thanks mate, I appreciate your positive comment.

Pierre cheers. I will take a look at Dust in the Wind. Thanks for the support.

Buddy hope you enjoyed the mountains. There's something about getting away from the city that makes life worth living. Thanks for the compliment on the tune.

Craig, thanks. Generally speaking hard work pays off eh! Thanks for the encouragement.

dennisg

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 am

Tony, I've been away from TG for a bit, but it was so nice to see that you'd put up this song in my absence. I know from chatting with you that you've put weeks of work into this tune, but the best part is that you don't look like you're doing heavy lifting when you play it. It looks smooth and natural and easy for you, despite its difficulty. This is one you can be really proud of, knowing that the incredible amount of time you've put into it has paid off in a song that you can always dazzle people with.

You've asked for comments. I don't really have any regarding the guitar playing, which I thought was superb. On a technical note, I thought the recording quality of the guitar seemed a bit muddy, unlike your other recent videos. Regarding vocals: people may not realize it, but this is a deceptively difficult song to sing. And one thing I noticed about the vocals is that you're slightly off key at various points throughout the song, and when it happens, it's often on the first word of a line. Again, though, the degree to which you're missing some notes is very, very slight. You just might want to pay more attention to nailing down the notes.

I remember the first time I heard this song on the radio, and I thought it would be a perfect song for you to sing because it's right in the strongest part of your vocal range. Thanks for confirming that.

tovo

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Hey Den,

Thanks mate for the detailed comments which are really useful for me. I wonder what I did to affect the guitar recording? I dialed everything to neutral and took away any reverb on both the vocals and the guitar. I'll need to keep playing around with that mixer. It's sure fun anyway! With the vocals, you're right it's sure not an easy song to sing. I think the biggest issue is that I'm still having to work quite hard to keep the playing together at the speed it's moving that the vocals can 'wander' a bit and that is surely what has happened here. From my perspective I thought the vocal didn't have the emotion I would like for the same reason. Having said all that, I am happy with where it is at and I'll keep working to improve it. Thanks mate.

abiliog

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:48 am

Tony,
Congratulations, this is a really tough song to play and sing at the same time. At the speed you played, that's impressive.
Your voice tone fits perfectly into this song and I think you put emotion into it.
Once again congratulations, you should be very proud.
Abilio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic