tovo Just Breathe guitar lesson review upload

tovo

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

I have been working on this tune for ages. I have found it difficult to play cleanly, and indeed in this effort there are still issues. I know where the mistakes are, but this is pretty much the best I can do after a lot of practice so I decided to put it out there.

I have always requested feedback because I do genuinely want to improve. On one occasion not so long ago I stupidly reacted badly to some feedback. That is a dumb thing to do and will never react in that way again. So please, offer your comments freely. We all enjoy praise, but it’s accepting and working with critical feedback that makes one a better player.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

jimcjimc

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey Tony,
Thanks for posting this video and all that you contribute to the site! I enjoyed it! I don't know the song that well and haven't looked at the lesson. But it encouraged me to check it out!
Jim

haoli25

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Wow, Tony, you're réally getting the hang of this travispicking! And at this speed ánd singing as well, thumbs up!!

Keep at it and try to keep those notes ringing as long as you can when doing all the chordchanges.

Gosh Tony, a great step in your progress, very well done mate!

Ness

tovo

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks Jim. It's a great tune no doubt, I encourage you to check it out.

Ness..thanks very much to you. I really get the value of having the notes ring out for longer, I do tend to cut them short, it's been a problem for me. Tougher on this one I think because of the speed. Do you think playing the notes with more power will help? I hope you understand what I mean? Like, a stronger attack on the strings?

TGMatt

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Well dude, as you know I asked Neil to make this into a lesson and you have done a fabulous job of doing it, having attempted it myself, I think it is actually reasonable hard too...(for me nigh impossible) so I dips me lid to you...

tovo

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey Matt cheers mate. Yeah...I agree with you completely, I think it's no easy tune and it has taken me a lot of work to get to this stage, with a lot more work left to do. I know you are a busy boy but like Nike says mate "Impossible is nothing". Get working on it! Just don't sell ALL of those beautiful guitars because I doubt it will work very well on the spoons.

BobR

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Tony,

I can't remember hearing this song until I joined TG. I've added this song on my iPod and listen to it often. I must say your hard work on this really shows. I am only able to get through the first few measures at this point, but I think it's a great song and you've given me the push to keep at it.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Lavallee

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Well my friend, this is pretty darn good. Good picking. I think it would benefit if we could hear the alternating base line a little louder and better defined. Interesting enough, the base we hear the best is the on the G chord which is the toughest one because it is over 3 strings rather than 2. It might also be the reason since you probably have paid more attention to it .

I believe this is your best video because of the technical challenge and still you sang with a soft voice (without any tension).

Good stuff mate

Marc

tovo

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Hey Bob, thanks man. Yeah I think the first time I ever heard the tune was Al putting it up before it was ever a Target tune. It is a challenge, the numbers don't always tell the story. I am glad the work shows somewhat. I have had to work hard on this one, sure hasn't come easy and I am under no illusion, there's a ways to go yet. Cheers buddy.

Marc, thanks pal. I'll take you comment on the bass line and work on that. There is so much in the tune to work on to improve it, I think I will be working on this one for quite some time, but it is a lovely tune so that's no problem. Thanks so much for your comment Marc.

michelew

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 pm

You're on fire Tony. Cookin' with gas mate.

I think I need to win the lotto. I've started so many songs and only gotten part way through learning them. This is one of them. Marsh mellow syndrome, life, time sucking wormholes that seems to be set up over my house, too many inspirational videos... Well you've given me a reason to go back and look at this one again.

Inspiring.

Thanks and nice job.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic