Bob Seeger Still the Same by mbleier

mbleier

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:44 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tovo

Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey Mike. Some work to do here but haven't we all got work to do? I know I do! Kudos again for getting it out there. I think the comments regarding loosening up on the pick apply here also. I do think you should put the singing on hold for this one and instead work on the timing of the tune, perhaps hum along during that process. I worked on this one and found that playing along with Neil's slowed down version was the best practice I could get on it. Keep working mate! Well done on what you have achieved to date.

Lavallee

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi Mike that is good work in progress. I noticed that the headstock is moving a lot .It might be related to the strumming done mostly by the forearm arm and a little wrist rather than a little forearm and a lot of wrist.

Marc

dekotaj

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Again BRAVO,Sir!!!

It dose get easier the more you do it.But I still feel a little crazy some times playing and talking to a camera.Good job!!

Kevin

abiliog

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:20 am

Mike,
Good job so far. Good strumming and good chord changes.
I think you should also try the strumming without a pick and try to strum with your thumb and index fingers, what is called an invisible pick.
Try it and maybe you prefer to do it that way in a nylon string guitar.
Good singing too. Thanks for sharing,
Abilio

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:25 am

Hey Mike nice going on Still The Same. Good to see you posting.
Yeah, getting over the camera nerves is something we have all had to go through to post a video... does get better and you'll find that you'll slow your playing down again as the camera seems to cause a speed up for most of us for some reason. Thanks for posting.

BigBear

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Mike- good effort so far. May I offer a couple of suggestions in the spirit of "we're all trying to get better and that's why we post videos"?

You've received good advice so far. Don't sing just yet, wait until the guitar part is really smooth. Singing and playing is too much overhead for a beginning guitarist. Get your playing rock solid (if you want to become a guitarist, rather than a singer) and then add in more complexity as you go. A metronome might help you as well but be aware that using a metronome can really add to that mechanical sound rather that feeling.

Back way off on your strumming. Use a lighter strum and don't give each strumming stroke, up or down, equal weight That's how you develop feel. Especially the upstrokes. They should be much, much lighter. When you strum hard with equal intensity the song sounds bombastic. This song does have a heavy beat but accent the first strum in each measure rather than all of them. Go back and watch Neil's video and just listen to his strumming.

Thanks for sharing this video with us and I hope that when you have this song down pat you will re-post so we can see the difference. Plus it's good for you to see how far you've some!

Cheers! :cheer:

cosmicmechanic

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Mike, I got nuttin' to add ... good move to post this, hope it'll get your motivation for playing going more than ever.

Pierre

BobR

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Mike,

I think this is the first song I posted and I got really great advice from the members. I would suggest checking Neils lesson again on the strum pattern though. There's spots where you only want an up, for instance going to the Em and it doesn't look like your doing that.

Nice start

Thanks for the look.

Bob

MarkM

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:07 am

Mike,

I finally got around to watching this and quite enjoyed it. You've got alot of good advice here and I'll reiterate the point made by a few folks in that you should lighten up on the pick a bit and as Bear stated vary your strumming a bit. Meaning that maybe hit mostly the bass notes more prominently on some of the down strokes on beats 1 and 3 and use the higher strings on beats 2 and 4. This will add some texture to the playing a bit. Great job so far and I'd love to see how you progress with this.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic