>> Todays Target members only Student Video Review by Neil - Blackbird - dsmarion

TGCheryle

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:57 am

Today's Target members only student video reply by Neil is now live today we look at Blackbird by dsmarion

Hope you enjoy this!

Cheers

Cheryle

http://www.totallyguitars.com/video-rev ... iew_id=809

Lavallee

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Good review Scott, good tips from Neil again

Marc

jimlard

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm

I really enjoyed listening to that Scott, it sounded great.

Jim

willem

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Its a winner Scott,,but we get all something out of it,,reviews are alway's a bonus,,with this song i have alway's some thought a baut sound while using nail and flesh thing,,hitting the bass with the flesh thumb and the fingers with some nail.

cheerse Willem

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks

dsmarion

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Neil - Thanks so much for reviewing this for me. You are right, I did get a little lost in a couple spots here and there. I don't know if it was nerves, or just thinking too far ahead or what. Probably some of it was I miight have put this up a little before I was really ready. I have still got this song in my daily routines (with vocals added, it's one of the few songs in my limited range to sing these days, although the high part is a bit hard - not because it's too high but more because the timing is also tough for me right there for some reason). I may try this at open mic one of these days if I get the nerve up. Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement!

Marc and Jim - Thanks for the comments and for listening.

Willem - Thanks my friend. I still don't feel comfortable with using the nails - except I do use them now very loudly on the slide down right after the slowing/stop part toward the end. Paul does this to extreme in some clips I have seen and I really liked the effect it has.

Demot - You are way too kind! I am still working on it too! But it gets better all the time not having to think about it so much as when I did this clip. I did listen to Paul play it on the studio version a ton while working on this song (I played it incessantly really), plus I checked out some of his live version as well. I will check out Jeremiah and Jay's version too, thanks for the link. And thanks for the kind words!

Scott

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Congrats Scott, you've done so well, even withóut nails!!!! :P :laugh:

Again, very well done! :)

cheers

Ness

dsmarion

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:40 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Congrats Scott, you've done so well, even withóut nails!!!! :P :laugh:

Again, very well done! :)

cheers

Ness
Ha, nope, nail-less lol (so far anyway). Thanks for commenting!

Scott

millponddave

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Scott,

What a great job on this song. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can be very proud of this one!

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Scott,

I'm now on my third relearning of "Blackbird": The 1st was using bad tab before TG, the 2nd was with Neil's tab (not the video) and using the index finger instead of the thumb on the G string, and my present 3rd practice is correctly imitating Neil's technique as on the video. In the near future is a 4th adaptation: Paul's technique, using a slight strum, as demonstrated by Neil.

Your rendition is excellent for sure ... have you had such a bumpy road getting the right playing ?

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic