band in my life by rapsidy

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Good to see another post Brad, don't know the song well enough but what Ness said about tempo makes good sense and Chris's comment about nailing the two parts then tackle vocals (rich coming from me who can't sing a note lol)

Definitely coming along with your playing mate.

Good on ya

michelew

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:52 am

Brad,

I've missed your posts, so it's great to see you back playing and working on a new song. It's a beautiful some at that.

You've gotten some great advice, so I look forward to the next version once you've had a chance to incorporate it.

Have you gone back and looked at your early posts recently? I bet you'd be shocked at the difference between now and then. As many have said you've made huge progress.

Doesn't the wage-slave dealio suck!

See you soon.

M.

dsmarion

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:02 am

Hey Brad,

I haven't heard enough of your playing to comment on progress, but I think you have a great start on this one. I agree with others about strumming and tempo being what still needs a little work but overall you have the whole song learned - just need to polish it up and get really comfortable with it. You also have a good voice too, the only times I noticed that your voice wavered at all was on parts where you are still having trouble getting the next chord (that will come in time for sure) and maybe the last high part is tough to reach but you have the range I believe. Practice will make everything more comfortable and you will improve. You're doing just fine, and thanks for sharing.

Scott

rapsidy

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:27 am

Dean- Not much theory goes into my song choice .. if i like it i try and learn it, every song/singer is out of my league so i hope people dont get affended with me butching a classic :) . Thanx for the tip on muting the string i have practice it and does sound better and the alternating picking .. i just got lazy..

Willem- Neils favourites...lol when did that happen? whats this totallyvocals.. sounds great thanx for the heads up will check it out.

Ness- nice to post again :) great advice i tried it and feels right straight away, how do you do it...??? I just guess and try and get it right as the video shows. I s there any tips you can give on how to know or learn timing? sorry its a big question thanks for your continued help

thanks pete, jim

Kevin- I know there is progress, but not in other areas like TEMPO ... The progress seems so small and slow and i wonder if it is normal or is this as good as im going to get, a fair bit of self doubt comes in.. is that normal???

Buddy- thanks mate appreciate it and that keeps you plugging away

Tony- that is encouraging, i look at your progress and dtaylor etc.. and feel like im spinning my wheels in comparison lol

Chris- yes that melody section is a toughy i need to listen to it a bit more,, im a bit slack in that department or blaze ... cheers

Chaz - I do that but when i post i try and put them together.. maybe i need to get out of that habit and just post a playing version and then maybe a vocal attempt

Michelle- Im too scared or embarrassed to take a look back lol yes work gets in the way of practice big time, thanks for your encouragment.. i havent seen any vids of your own latter have i missed any?

Scott- cheers mate thanks for all those encouraging words i will keep going

michelew

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 am

Hi Brad,

That's a good question. Well you know, in the end it all comes down to counting carefully along with your playing. Listen to Neil's play along and count along with what he is playing (listen to the metronome). Once you got the beat and the melody of the intro in your head, it'll become easier and natural. And when going into the verse, remain playing the same beat.

I do suspect why this happened. The intro takes all your attention and you're trying to get it down by slowing it down a bit, although you didn't really realize it. Then the strumming comes in, so you automatically switch to the actual tempo of the song, because you can do that just fine. But the thing is when you slow something down, you need to slow éverything down or vice versa. I realize you weren't aware of that, I'm just trying to point out what happened and what probably caused it.

Anyway, I'm sure Neil has a lot to say about this and there is a good chance that he might! ;) :)

Ness

rapsidy wrote:

Ness- nice to post again :) great advice i tried it and feels right straight away, how do you do it...??? I just guess and try and get it right as the video shows. I s there any tips you can give on how to know or learn timing? sorry its a big question thanks for your continued help

MarkM

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:47 am

Brad,

Great to see/hear you again. All the others have given great advice which will help you further down the path on this song. What I'd like to stress is that although you may feel a bit frustrated at this point as we all do from time to time (My time being right now), you really have improved tremendously. Apart from some of the timing issues on this song which will get better you have come such a long way on your strumming. No longer are you gitting the stings too hard here or too soft there. You had a really nice and even strum on this song and the notes sounded very good. Nice job on picking out some of those bass notes as well. Nice easy motion with your right hand and you held some nice barr chords with your left hand. I agree with the others in that if you go back and look at some videos of yours from last year and then watch this one over again you'll be very pleased with the results. You're doing a great job Brad. The timing will come together eventually. Be proud of how far you have come in such a short amount of time.

MarkM

dekotaj

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:57 am

Kevin- I know there is progress, but not in other areas like TEMPO ... The progress seems so small and slow and i wonder if it is normal or is this as good as im going to get, a fair bit of self doubt comes in.. is that normal???

Hey Brad, I sure hope so.If not were all a little Abby Normal!! :laugh: :laugh:

Looks and sound like your sure getting the hang of it to me!!I got some bad news,just as soon as you learn one thing there's something else to learn.But,That's the cross we all bare for wanting to play this instrument.And as far as(good as I'm going to get)NO,NO,NO trust me your getting a hole lot better every time you post.Keep up the good(HARD)work!!

Kevin

BobR

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 am

Hi Brad,

Nice to see another post fromn you. You've already gotten plenty of advice so I will just say good job and keep at it.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic